Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Collecting from the yard 6 years 11 months ago #32501

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

I like the one in the third photo. One of my concerns is keeping the lower foliage intact as I understand pines don't back bud. Is there something I can do to help keep that lower growth?

Yep. Prune the top.
You would need to break the candles or decandle. Look it up and study it. Not sure what type of white pines these are, I think they are not Pinus Parviflora?
This is important to know as the technique per type of pine can be different.

This is a good article about pines in general .

Sorry coltranem I misunderstood what you were writing. I thought you were looking to collect a wild tree to work on the class.

Auk. Is this even realistic? I mean really, aren't these trees too young to collect? also when we talk long term on this, we are talking about 30 years for a white pine. Aren't we? Aren't pines very difficult to work with too?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by eangola.

Collecting from the yard 6 years 11 months ago #32503

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Auk. Is this even realistic? I mean really, aren't these trees too young to collect? also when we talk long term on this, we are talking about 30 years for a white pine. Aren't we? Aren't pines very difficult to work with too?

Yes, it is not realistic to expect good result in a few years. But you need to consider what the writer writes:

"I am scheduled to take a class at my local bonsai nursery. However on the mean time I am looking to collect to inexpensive material to have test subjects. I have identified some some trees in my yard"
"Obviously they are young"
"I understand this means years from now."

So, he is looking for inexpensive material to test, he knows the material is young and he knows that, even if it is only test material, it will take many years.
He's joining a club too, so he is clearly interested in the subject and I believe he does not have unrealistic expectations.

It is his own yard, so he doesn't have to ask for permission, they will be for free, and I think they can be collected (carefully, at the right time).

So, why not? I've started pines from seed... they are in their fourth year now and I am trying to keep them compact. I have decandled them last year (the top candles mostly) and it has come back with even more candles. I will decandle the black pines again this year. I will not touch the only japanese white pine seedling that has survived (note that they must not be decandled but pinched). I won't live long enough to make impressive bonsai out of them, but it is good practice and it teaches me about how the pines respond to certain techniques - which I apply on my bigger pines.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Collecting from the yard 6 years 11 months ago #32522

• coltranem
  • coltranem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 4
My plan was to work on them in place if need be. I am still reading through and watching the great material from Auk. However I think this year I will work on the foliage and leave them in place. It is just like Auk said this will be great to see how the tree responds to different techniques.

• Page: