Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Importing Trees from Japan. 7 years 3 days ago #30639

• SwebonsaiKriss
  • SwebonsaiKriss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, My name is Kristoffer and I am new to bonsai, Iv been trying to buy a Juniperus tree that have nails that are round and not like nails. but no success! Is there a website that you can import trees from ? for a small fee. I am 25 years old so money is low.
this is the kind of tree I am talking about.
Thanks a lot!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Importing Trees from Japan. 7 years 3 days ago #30640

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Iv been trying to buy a Juniperus tree that have nails that are round and not like nails

Not sure. Do you mean scale-type foliage in stead of needle-type?

Looking at the picture, it seems you mean scale-type. I'm sure you can buy those in Sweden.
Do understand though that you will not be able to create a tree like the one in the picture. That will take many years of study, practice, training and growth.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Importing Trees from Japan. 7 years 3 days ago #30641

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Great. I love to see young people starting this hobby.

Have a look around some forums. There are people in Sweden working on bonsai. Perhaps there is a club near to you you could join?

Buying plants is a pain. They are always more expensive than you want to / are able to spend. The tree you show, just the tree without the styling, will set you back several hundred Euros... A young plant is an option. Just realize: Growing a tree like the one showed, required a decade or more of just growing in the ground, before any styling can take place. So keep you ambition to grow one of thee one day. But for now, I would reduce the ambition a little untill money is less of an issue..

Importing Trees from Japan. 7 years 3 days ago #30642

• SwebonsaiKriss
  • SwebonsaiKriss's Avatar Topic Author
Hello and thanks for the answer. what I meant is the specimen, only like the race. and the needles I meant is the non sharp one, all I can find around where I live is more like sharp. I've been interested in bonsai art since I was 10, when I turned 25 I got a Fikus that has the same age as me. so I have a total of 10 trees now. butt I am missing my favorite tree. the Juniperus i suppose it's called ?

Importing Trees from Japan. 7 years 3 days ago #30651

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Maybe have a look here:
www.hallbergs-plantskola.se/?s=grp&g=bar

or Google for 'Plantskola + juniperus chinensis"

Note there are other types of junipers with scale-type foliage.

Importing Trees from Japan. 6 years 8 months ago #34179

• darkwave
  • Thanks received: 3
a tree like that pictured will run you a lot of money.
if your looking to buy one check e-bay that how i sell my trees,tools,and starter kits.

also if you like junipers.i have gotten alot of older thick trucked ones from old business's that
shut down and were going to dig them up and trash them so i got there permission to
dig up the ones i wanted. but always make sure you get there ok before doing it.

Last edit: Post by darkwave.

Importing Trees from Japan. 5 years 5 months ago #45202

• krisal
Late answer, but I have been looking for the same species, in the same country.

Buying Juniperus Chinesis in Sweden has become more difficult the last few years. The nurseries have a lot of pressure from pear owners not to sell Chinese Junipers due to Pear rust (Gymnosporangium). Importing junipers from Japan is not really legal AFAICS.

Chinese junipers were very popular to plant in gardens here in the 60s and 70s, maybe its possible to find some that you can dig up (with permission), since they are not in fashion anymore.

Otherwise, I think the best bet is to buy a smaller juniper from sites (located within the EU) such as bonsai.de, www.henhbonsai.nl

You can also ask here if someone is selling a juniper: www.facebook.com/groups/bonsaisallskapet/

/krisal

Importing Trees from Japan. 5 years 5 months ago #45203

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Otherwise, I think the best bet is to buy a smaller juniper from sites (located within the EU) such as bonsai.de, www.henhbonsai.nl

H&H only if you don't mind paying far too much for trees that are not really as good as they claim they are.

Importing Trees from Japan. 5 years 5 months ago #45204

• krisal
Haha :cheer: I have not tried that shop myself.

But, to the thread creator, I think *some* online shop outside Sweden, but in Europe, is better (will give better results) than going around looking at general purpose nurseries in Sweden

• Page: