Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Advice/Recommendations on Redwood Species 6 years 11 months ago #32043

• BHamer
  • BHamer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi everyone!

I have been keeping a Chinese Elm for a bout 2 years now, but am interested in expanding my collection to include a Redwood bonsai tree. I am not looking to buy anything too old - rather i'd like to buy something about 4-5 years old so I can do some shaping without too much difficulty. I see a lot of Dawn Redwoods for sale online from places like Brussels Bonsai and Bonsai Boy of New York, and various eBay sellers, but I wanted to hear some input from you all before making a purchase. In summary, below are the two questions I would like to hear your answer on.

1. Is the Dawn Redwood a good species of Redwood to buy? Or is there another variety I should consider? I know the Dawn Redwood is native to China (which is fine), but I think it would be cool to have a species native to the western coast of the United States.
2. Where do you recommend buying from? Does anyone have one for sale that fits my description? I have purchased from Brussels in the past and had decent luck, but am unsure about what to expect from them in this variety.

Please let me know, and thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by BHamer.

Advice/Recommendations on Redwood Species 6 years 11 months ago #32045

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I see a lot of Dawn Redwoods for sale online from places like Brussels Bonsai and Bonsai Boy of New York, and various eBay sellers, but I wanted to hear some input from you all before making a purchase

As Bonsai Boi sells this horrible thing for the insane amount of USD 250,00, I can assure you I would never ever even consider buying anything there.

Looking at these trees I wouldn't order from Brussels Bonsai either:
shop.brusselsbonsai.com/Results.cfm?category=16&secondary=28

I'm sure seeing these prices would make Kristoff very happy though, seeing that could he make an easy fortune with his creations in the future.

I would not buy from such webshops anyway. It's better to see in real life what you're buying. 5 yo(or older) Dawn redwoods can be purchased at a (non-bonsai) nursery for a decent price.

1. Is the Dawn Redwood a good species of Redwood to buy?

They would probably not be my tree of choice, but if you Google 'Dawn Redwood' images, you will see they can make decent bonsai. If you try to make one from a 5 yo tree, it's going to take you very long though (think at least one decade, but longer if you want a good tree).

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Advice/Recommendations on Redwood Species 6 years 8 months ago #34652

• breck
  • Thanks received: 1
Redwoods grow incredibly fast, I planted a finger thick cutting of a giant redwood in the garden 10 years ago its probably 50 feet high now, get a baby tree plant it in a really big pot and watch it grow, best results for me are with the dawn redwood just keep the roots moist never let them dry out
The following user(s) said Thank You: BHamer

Advice/Recommendations on Redwood Species 6 years 8 months ago #34653

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Redwoods grow incredibly fast

The person asking the question has not been seen for 2 months 3 weeks.

• Page: