• Page:

TOPIC:

Hey Auk, we miss you, man! 5 years 7 months ago #43687

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Looks cool that place! Enjoy :)

Do you speak hungarian fluently? Sometimes your grammar and word placements remind me of someone who speaks hungarian

Well, I’m hungarian, so that’s the language what I speak most fluently.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hey Auk, we miss you, man! 5 years 7 months ago #43879

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
So, I'm back. Sort off.

I once started visiting this forum to learn about bonsai and see progressions from fellow bonsai growers, get inspired by their examples and learn from their experience. But let's face it: this forum is hardly about bonsai. Only a very few regular visitors are really doing bonsai. The vast majority is yet another person who (thinks he has) started growing bonsai.

"I have always been fascinated by bonsai, ever since I saw the Karate Kid. I have done thorough research for at least 4 minutes, and I have purchased a bonsai kit from a street vendor. I have no idea what this plant needs, so I have placed it bedroom, where it will not get burned by the sun. Also, we have airco there, so the tree will not get too hot. I water once every two weeks by submerging it in hot water in our bathtub for an hour or so. I fertlize it daily as recommended by the street vendor who seemed to know a lot about bonsai. He had some very nice Ficus Ginseng bonsai with amazing roots.

I don't have much experience with plants nor a green thumb. I did have house plants in the past, but they died within weeks. Still, I'm sure I can pull this off.

Just a few questions:

- These two apple trees have been doing great. When can I start pruning and wiring it? Should I cut the roots?
- They need to stay small so I will put them in tiny pots. What size do you recommend? I've taken them out of their pots so you can have a look at the size of the roots
- Some of the leaves are a bit brown, so I'll install a 5000 watt lamp directly above them so they get green again"

OK, the above is a bit exaggerated. Or... not that much, really.

I have visited anti-virus forums. They are about computer viruses and how to defend yourself against them.
I have visited motor forums. They are about motorcycles and driving and maintaining them
I have visited travel forums. They are about travelling, countries, cities

This forum is hardly about bonsai. It's about dying plants that will never be bonsai. Occasionally, there are good posts from people that really do bonsai, but there are simply not enough of them to keep this forum interesting.

So, you have been seeing far less from me - and you will continue to see less.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Hey Auk, we miss you, man! 5 years 7 months ago #43880

• Clicio
  • Clicio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

So, you have been seeing far less from me - and you will continue to see less.

Auk, IF we make this forum interesting and welcoming for bonsai enthusiasts as well as old timers, probably more and more people (like Felidae, Leroycoutts and a few others) will stay and talk about bonsai, show their efforts, answer beginners questions, and the Forum will become a bonsai forum the way we want it to be.
YOUR presence is fundamental to make this happen, so, I will ask:
Please stay, and if you feel the burden is too much, don't answer the newbies horticultural doubts;
We do it .
The following user(s) said Thank You: leroycoutts, Blackwood

Hey Auk, we miss you, man! 5 years 7 months ago #43885

• Franky
  • Thanks received: 14
@Auk. I understand your frustration. However, most forums are littered with novice and newbie questions that either do or don’t get answered. I visit an electrical forum from time-to-time which has the same issue, however the difference there is that this aspect of it is vastly outweighed by the interesting and more professional contributors asking and answering questions.

The same isn’t true here. In fact, you could argue the opposite is true. There’s more of the problematic stuff you mentioned above versus more engaging and interesting topics which would appeal to the above average enthusiast.

I agree with your overall sentiments though. Hope you stick around.

Hey Auk, we miss you, man! 5 years 7 months ago #43926

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
Auk... I like you, and your sarcastic way of being, (how I said already)... but if that is what you need now, go ahead. I think you lost your patience. Looks like the biggest problem is the lack of research on the beginner side (I’m a researcher beginner.. or what..).But why you bother those? Why not about the superglue’s conservation abilities.. if it have any...

Bonsai for me, looks like.. everything, from seed to showstopper, just not necessarily in one lifetime... Of course, between those have some big words, like “potential”, “optimal”, “proportional”, and so on.. But anything is it.. if it’s woody, or it’ll became.

I Lived out something on that road..
Just wanted a place, where I can interact similar people to my depth of interest. Didn’t quite found, but...
First, I was happy to give my knowledge.. and got really frustrated with time. People (but not less than 80%) thought they have something golden, but the majority was just a shoddy.. .... My favorite extra sport to stay calm, when you want to slap as hard as you could, spiced with a loud “useurfckngbrain”.
/But the most frustrating when everyone ask you in private, and tomorrow share YOUR experience and YOUR knowledge, like they learn this decades ago themselves.. I’m no more present in social media./

And sorry for the rant...

I’m sure.. most of the beginners will never became intermediate, but already saw some shine like a star with time. For those minority, maybe it worth to keep going and stand for. Internet is available for.. almost everyone.. Harder to pick out the really passionate ones from the crowd.

A forum is, what it is. Slower pace, not just words gone with the wind. It’s your choice if you want to look, or answer a question. It’s your choice to share your work also. The worst what could happen, when you ignore someones question, someone else will reply. Good chance, with less knowledge, or with points what you’re not agree by experience. That’s hard to manage, but controllable with cool head and logic (on theory.. cause many times I miss both).

So.. The point from me is, if you need to slow down, do. Who’s anybody here who could stop you.. But never forget that, some of the many feel this as a loss.
Maybe once someone will figuring out a solution for a private area on the forum, what just the HC users can see and post on it, even if I won’t be a part of. Me too I miss the golden age, when same passionate people met in one forum, and the beginner researched and learned.

Take care, Grumpy.. ;)

Last edit: Post by Felidae.

Hey Auk, we miss you, man! 5 years 7 months ago #43934

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Just a comment.

Any teacher knows that out of a class of 50 there might be 5 who actually show interest and maybe 2 who go on to do well. My calculus class that starts next week had 45, no math majors, mostly biology and such who will never take another math class. A third will skip half the classes and not even try. I will answer the same questions over and over, and this is just like the bonsai forum.

Buddhism teaches to search for the flower growing out of the mud, a lesson worth learning. Same here. You don't have to read and reply to every beginner question. Look for the flowers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, crent89, Felidae

Hey Auk, we miss you, man! 5 years 7 months ago #43979

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Any teacher knows that out of a class of 50 there might be 5 who actually show interest

It is not the same. I am talking about the huge amount of people that simply are not doing bonsai.

"I have always been fascinated by math. One day I want to be a math professor just like you. I have studied it a lot and recently I bought this book about Italian grammar"
'errrm.. sorry, but that is not math'
"Why are you professors always so condescending? You guys think you are the elite. You are really not helping me"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Hey Auk, we miss you, man! 5 years 7 months ago #43980

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Actually, it's similar. Many majors use math to weed out students, so a class of 45 may have 2math majors, 10 engineers and physics, and the rest pre-med, biology, neuroscience, etc., whose only interest is checking a box.

The enjoyment of teaching is the few who show interest, and you don't let the rest get you down. Just look at the title on the post, and skip the ones that look like what gets you down.

• Page: