• Page:

TOPIC:

Sad day for bonsai and tree lovers alike 11 years 11 months ago #5268

• snuffy
  • snuffy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 15
I went to a local nature park to see what I call natural bonsai. Trees that were created by nature, that are much like bonsai. On to of this one hill there were a few such trees, I go up there and just look at them from time to time. As I got there I saw 2 were gone, I thought "O.K. someone dug them up and gave them a better place to live." I walked a little further and saw one ripped out of the ground and just laying there. "How could somebody do such a cruel this to such an amazing tree", I said to myself. The good mood I was in totally gone now, I walked closer to the edge of the cliff. There I found the two missing trees, laying on top of two piles of ash from camp fires (which is illegal to camp in this park). I checked the roots but they were completely dried out. I would have replanted them if I could have, or taken them home and cared for them until they got healthy again, but it was too late.
I have contacted the parks department and gave them pics and gps coords. Hopefully they will catch these people.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Sad day for bonsai and tree lovers alike 11 years 11 months ago #5269

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
This makes me very angry, did all those trees in those pics die? They are such beautiful trees which have lived undisturbed for many years

Re: Sad day for bonsai and tree lovers alike 11 years 11 months ago #5270

• James May
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13
How horrible. I love nature made "bonsai" trees like that. You would have to be a pretty big douche bag to uproot something like that and leave it for dead. :angry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Youri1995

Re: Sad day for bonsai and tree lovers alike 11 years 11 months ago #5272

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
I don't get people sometimes. What was the point of doing that!! They were beautiful trees. it's really sad.

Re: Sad day for bonsai and tree lovers alike 11 years 11 months ago #5276

• snuffy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The roots were dried out and brittle, for the most part. So yea they were dead. It takes trees a very long time to grow up there. Very little water, extreme temp changes, and not to mention winds. Those trees were quite old to be that big in such an area. The first one was about 3 feet tall and the second one was about 2.5 feet tall. The needles on trees on this hill never turn completely green because of the lack of water and excessive heat from early spring to late fall.
I counted the rings of a branch I broke off a dead tree there once. The branch was no bigger than my thumb. I took it home and sawed the end off. With a big magnifying glass, I counted rings until my eyes started hurting. I stopped at 85. That is how harsh the weather is on that hill. That is the main reason I am so mad at those fools.

Re: Sad day for bonsai and tree lovers alike 11 years 11 months ago #5284

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
85 rings!! wow I still would have tried taking one home and soaking it in water for 3 days

Re: Sad day for bonsai and tree lovers alike 11 years 11 months ago #5285

• snuffy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The rings were barely thicker than a piece of paper. Generally if a pondarosa pines roots are dried out and brittle, they are dead. If there were any chance at all I would have brought them home.

Re: Sad day for bonsai and tree lovers alike 11 years 10 months ago #5625

• TKHooper
  • Thanks received: 2
I'm so sorry that happened. I hope new trees will make their home there.

• Page: