• Page:

TOPIC:

Busy Bonsai 10 years 11 months ago #8783

• Gnarlwood
  • Gnarlwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 21
These last few months I've been busy going to school and working. However, I haven't given up on bonsai! During this time I did one talk, made one PowerPoint, and wrote one 13 page paper on bonsai.

I also got a bench set aside for me to do my bonsai work. It's small but I fixed it up. Check out the pictures and let me know what you think.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in bonsai to also get active in knowing more about large trees. While at school I was shown these websites which I believe some of you may find interesting.

auf.isa-arbor.com/

www.isa-arbor.com/education/publications/arboristNews.aspx

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Gnarlwood.

Busy Bonsai 10 years 11 months ago #8812

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10
Good Information. I would like to dedicate an area for my work but I use the same bench for my woodworking. It is very crowded!

Busy Bonsai 10 years 11 months ago #8813

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Garages can be very difficult to keep neat. However, I made an effort to preserve this one bench and make it extra neat. Plant surgeons need space and clean areas.

Busy Bonsai 10 years 11 months ago #8815

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
For anyone wondering about the aluminum pan and gallon of denatured alcohol let me explain. When pruning trees it's advised to sterilize equipment after every cut and between plants. For this reason I got the pan so I could immerse the tools before oiling them. Another method of sterlizing is to dunk the cutting end of your tools in the alcohol and then proceed trimming.

Although not in the photograph, I use bar chain oil to coat my tools after they're cleaned. I found it thicker than most oils and much more plentiful.

Last edit: Post by Gnarlwood.

Busy Bonsai 10 years 11 months ago #8816

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Just note: In order to sterilize something with alcohol, you will have to submerge it for at least 15 minutes.

By the way: Sterilizing between cuts is really not required (And personally, I do not ever sterilize my tools.)

Busy Bonsai 10 years 11 months ago #8852

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Times vary for sterilization. I heard seven minutes but you're saying fifteen minutes. Regardless, it makes sense to sterilize your tools at least after each plant. Arborists will simply dunk their tool between cuts.
I'm fairly sure I transmitted a fungus to my one plant because I didn't clean them. Obviously you haven’t had problems but for how long? Do it right and clean before you cut!

Busy Bonsai 10 years 11 months ago #8857

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Mwa.. Been growing plants for over 25 years. not had any trouble so far. So you think that the big growers and the pro's in China and Japan all sepnt 10-20 minute desinfecting their tools between trees?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gnarlwood

Busy Bonsai 10 years 11 months ago #8871

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
It's better to be safe than sorry. You are opening up the specimen for the possibility of decay with every cut. Sure, sterilization takes a little time but isn't bonsai supposed to be a thoughtful and slow process? I want my plant to thrive not be snuffed out by my stupidity or carelessness.

• Page: