Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Acer Rubrum Health Question 6 years 8 months ago #34835

• aewers94
  • aewers94's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all!

I've been reading this forum for a while but this is my first time posting. A little over a week ago I transplanted this (what I believe to be) red maple from the mulch surrounding my home. It was too handsome for me to just dispose of as I pulled weeds.

I was able to dig up the plant with minimal root damage, saving about 95 percent of the tap root. I used MiracleGro potting mix for the soil in the pot I transferred it too. The plant received a thorough watering after transplant.

I keep the tree in a corner of my back patio where it is sheltered from the wind. It receives filtered sunlight through the river birch nearby for all but maybe 1-2 hours a day. I've erred on the side of a bit more water this past week since it's been above 90 degrees Fahrenheit several days.

The tree never showed much in the way of signs of water stress. The leaves haven't drooped nor were there any leaf curl.

There were signs of damage when I discovered the plant. Several of the leaves have holes from what I assume is beetles as the other trees surrounding my home have been attacked this year. The tree also has a broken branch (a twig really at this point) that was once its leader. I removed several leaves that were obviously damaged shortly after I transplanted it. Several small leaves surrounding where the broken leader was have dried up and fallen, but none of the larger, more mature and characteristically maple leaves have dried up and fallen.

You can see from the photo below the state of a leaf that doesn't seem too healthy. Is there something more that I should be doing? Could the brown spots be leaf scorch? I'd like to see this plant succeed over the coming years and hopefully develop into something worth training into a bonsai.

Thanks for your help!
Alex

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Acer Rubrum Health Question 6 years 8 months ago #34836

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

You can see from the photo below the state of a leaf that doesn't seem too healthy. Is there something more that I should be doing? Could the brown spots be leaf scorch? I'd like to see this plant succeed over the coming years and hopefully develop into something worth training into a bonsai.

In this season, some damage to the leaves is normal. I love spring - when all the leavers are fresh and undamanged. But I too see damage on my trees from bugs eating the leaves. It's normal and not alarming.

So far I think you're doing fine, but do realise it is going to take you years to develop a decent trunk before this will become suitable for bonsai.

Acer Rubrum Health Question 6 years 8 months ago #34837

• aewers94
  • aewers94's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for your response, Auk. If you say it's not to be of concern, then I suppose all I can do is keep an eye on it.

I'm aware of the time it will take. It's kind of exciting! Once I finish my graduate studies and am living somewhere more permanently, I plan on planting it in the ground so the trunk can thicken.

• Page: