Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Culturing Kyoto Moss Indoors (Joshua Roth Brand) 6 years 7 months ago #35584

• ekim046
  • ekim046's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey folks. I know this is somewhat off topic but moss is well used within the bonsai community so I wanted to share my experiences and difficulties in trying to culture these spores in the past.

Anywho. I've tried germinating Kyoto Moss spores that I purchased online in the past (Joshua Roth brand - those yellow envelopes w/ awful instructions) and failed. I failed for two reasons: 1. I honestly just threw the spores on the ground and hoped for it to spring 2. Southern California is really not very hospitable to moss so finding it outdoors can be harder than you'd think. Also, with much searching online, I see that I am far from alone lol. Have you tried culturing Kyoto Moss spores? Please do share what worked for you!

In any case, I thought I'd give it another go. This time I really put some effort into it and brought it indoors to keep a meticulous eye on humidity levels. Seems like the prepared substrate and constant misting has been paying off and I"m starting to see tiny patches of green here and there. I've heard comments before that this was like posting a video of "hey dad, im growing a beard" but honestly, I'm just happy that it is working and I wanted to share it w you guys.

Culturing Kyoto Moss Spores

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: