Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Japanese Maple Tree 6 years 1 week ago #38962

• Elle_marie
  • Elle_marie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an outdoor Japanese Maple tree in Zone 10. I live in south Florida and the summers can get pretty humid/hot and out sunlight is notorious. I am looking to add a Maple to my collection but unsure what will be best and can stand the South Florida sun. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
The topic has been locked.

Japanese Maple Tree 6 years 1 week ago #38963

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an outdoor Japanese Maple tree in Zone 10.

All trees belong outdoors, including Maples. Ergo, there isn´t such thing as outdoors trees.

I live in south Florida and the summers can get pretty humid/hot and out sunlight is notorious. I am looking to add a Maple to my collection but unsure what will be best and can stand the South Florida sun. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please, maybe take a look at these two species:

Acer Campestre: www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/AcerCampestre.html
Acer Buergerianum: www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/AcerBuergerianum.html

As for Palmatum cultivars... I don´t think they will endure very well Florida´s weather. The previous two are stronger and will better resist the strong tropical sun. However, there is a concern on these two too. These trees are deciduous, as every Arce species is, and I´m not fully sure that in Florida they might properly develop their necessary autumn/winter dormancy period.

It´s up to you anyways... But maybe choosing another not deciduous species would be better in Florida´s zone.

Alain
Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

Japanese Maple Tree 6 years 1 week ago #38969

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I would ask around at a local club. Maples typicvally do not do well in the sub-tropics as they need a dormant period. Not living in the sub-tropics myself, I cannot help you any further than that :|

Japanese Maple Tree 6 years 1 week ago #38976

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
I don't live in the sub tropics either, but I would add a couple of thoughts: having experimented with trees that are not really native to where I live, while some success can be had with them, they will always cause some worry and possibly heartache, as the growing conditions are less than ideal. While I haven't lost a tree in a while... there were a couple where I was unsure they would last until the sun started to be stronger again, thankfully they have survived.

Japanese Maple Tree 6 years 1 week ago #39001

• Elle_marie
  • Elle_marie's Avatar Topic Author
Thank you everyone for your help Im going to reach out to some local clubs to see if it would make sense because our temps don't drop enough for a dormant period. Thank you everyone!

Japanese Maple Tree 6 years 1 week ago #39010

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
By and large, the local garden store and the local dirt are your best sources because you get trees acclimated to your climate. It isn't real hard to get trees from warmer climates and move them indoors for the winter. Colder climates are harder, unless you have a walk-in refrigerator with a sky light.

Japanese Maple Tree 6 years 1 week ago #39015

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

. Colder climates are harder, unless you have a walk-in refrigerator with a sky light.

I was not going to suggest it because I doo not know the level of experience in growing trees. In the tropics some people keep maple etc, and have a fridge where they store the tree for a few months each year. You do notneed light if you bring the temps down to near freezing, as the plants go dormant. However it is very stressfull for trees as they go from happy and cozy warm, to dormant overnight.

Japanese Maple Tree 6 years 1 week ago #39020

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
As Leatherback says:
"However it is very stressfull for trees as they go from happy and cozy warm, to dormant overnight."
There are growers in Brazil that adapt the temperatures to avoid the shock (lowering temps gradually during the first weeks and pushing them up at the end of the dormant season), but it is a lot of work.

Japanese Maple Tree 5 years 11 months ago #39763

• Prince Choudhary
Anyone tell me about Japanese Maple Tree, What is that???
Best regards
Prince Choudhary

Japanese Maple Tree 5 years 11 months ago #39764

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: