TOPIC:

Arce Palmatum leaves infographic 6 years 4 days ago #39395

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
Hi there guys,

Usually I have a hard time differentiating the incredible amount of Arce Palmatum cultivars that there are (Kiyohime, Deshojo, Seigen, etc.).Today while searching the internet I found this amazing Infographic realized by Hiroyuki Suzuki. Based only in its leaves, at least for me, it represents a fairly well detailed information of the diference of such cultivars leaves.

There are not represented all of the varieties (i.e. Atroporpureum variety it´s not), as it would be highly difficult. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did and that in the future it might be of help identifying your Palmatum cultivars:

Alain

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, Madartej21, Clicio, Felidae

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

Arce Palmatum leaves infographic 6 years 4 days ago #39397

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Nice. I know this infographic, and yes it is well done.
Actually, I ventured in the garden yesterday and took some shots of my palmatums. Let me share some:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983, Clicio

Arce Palmatum leaves infographic 6 years 4 days ago #39403

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Actually, I ventured in the garden yesterday and took some shots of my palmatums. Let me share some:

Yes, my AP leaves pattern seems exactly like this of yours. Redwine it is then?

Alain

Arce Palmatum leaves infographic 6 years 4 days ago #39404

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
That is what I bought this one as from a large chain garden centre. They get them pre-labelled from the growers so I am fairly confident this one is correct. But many look alike..

Arce Palmatum leaves infographic 6 years 4 days ago #39406

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Nice. Good info. Maples though... I'm not having success with them. I 'm having a good year, this year. All my trees survived winter.
Maples though... they die. I have had maples from common nurseries, from real bonsai nurseries, I have them in pots, and several in full ground. They die. All of them. Starting at the youngest branches, then dying off completely. I have a small pond with waterfall, and a red maple hanging over it. It's dead. Damnit. It has been doing well for 3 years or so and it was an absolutely awesome sight, the sunlight shining through the red leaves at the end of the afternoon. But it's dead.

Seems my garden isn't suitable for maples :(

Oh wait... I remembered (after posting this): I do have one that's doing well. An Acer Palmatum 'Palmatum'. The mother of all Acer Palmatums, if I'm right, the one that other varieties are grafted on to. Guess it's stronger.

(I still have 2 others that seem to be doing well. They've not been there long, 2 years or so. They'll probably suddenly drop dead too).

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Arce Palmatum leaves infographic 6 years 4 days ago #39407

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

They'll probably suddenly drop dead too).

Always the optimistic...
Don't worry, I've managed to kill my share even being in the tropics.
The problem here is not the winter, but the summer. They hate it, leaves get scorched in a day, they go dormant in the height of the summer, and then they don't recover for winter/spring. A battle, always. The only one doing really well is the Trident Maple, stronger I think.

Arce Palmatum leaves infographic 6 years 4 days ago #39408

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

The problem here is not the winter, but the summer. They hate it, leaves get scorched in a day

aw your not lying about the summers. they get very hot in my area and ive lost a few maples as well mainly due to Pseudomonas syringae. leaves quickly start to burn and wilt then you start seeing all the symptoms on the trunk and there is no stopping it. i have a approx 25yr old maple that looks to be doing well but i hope it can with stand this summers weather.

Last edit: Post by crent89.
  • Page: