Bonsai forum

For beginners and more experienced!

• Røng
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 10

For beginners and more experienced! was created by Røng

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #40258
Hello everyone,

I would like to start this topic by talking about the so called "Mallsai". For those of you who doesn't know what this term means... Well Mallsai refers to a bad practice in Bonsai where businesses are trying to sell massive amounts of trees that have the "S" shape, are usually wearing the simple label of "Bonsai" and they have different glued stones attached to the soil. In bonsai art, a symmetrical movement of the tree is not so appreciated because the work of a human can be seen in it. It is favorable to have a more uneven shape that reassembles a natural movement.

The good side of Mallsai is that these trees are opening the gate to the Bonsai world for the public! Most of us are starting our journey by first purchasing such trees, then we start gathering more and more knowledge and improve our skills.

One down side is that a lot of more "experience" people (specially on this forum) are always rushing to judge your bonsai, and instead of trying to support you in your journey they are simply treating you as another newbie who bought a tree or received it as a gift. So, before starting to be judgemental or look down on other people, I invite you to read the following article I've found today, specially the last 4 paragraphs!

www.artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2346
by Røng

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic For beginners and more experienced!

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #40259

Røng wrote: Well Mallsai refers to a bad practice in Bonsai where businesses are trying to sell massive amounts of trees that have the "S" shape

They are selling what people want to buy. Not sure if you can call selling S-shaped trees in itself a bad practice... (though selling 1 year old junipers as indoor bonsai... well... that's a different story).

One down side is that a lot of more "experience" people (specially on this forum) are always rushing to judge your bonsai, and instead of trying to support you in your journey

So, essentially, you were not here to give advice to the beginners or the more experienced, you wanted to let of steam as you felt insulted?
That's fine... hope it helps.

they are simply treating you as another newbie who bought a tree or received it as a gift

Have you seen the sheer amount of people who.... oh, never mind.

Of course I know that article. And this one:
www.houzz.com/discussions/1376236/mallsa...the-bonsai-community
Last Edit:5 years 11 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Auk.

• Røng
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 10

Replied by Røng on topic For beginners and more experienced!

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #40261
Actually I am here trying to support newcomers and tell them that they should expect some negativity on their tree but whatever that is they shouldn't give up on the passion that ignited in their soul.

On the other hand, why is everyone blaming the flux of newcomers coming here with the same problems? We've all been there in the beginning, we've all been new in this art and this forum so it is something natural. It is like blaming all kids for asking why the sky is blue over and over again.

I would like to see people focusing on QUALITY rather than QUANTITY. If you got tired of answering the same questions then fine, don't do it, no one is forcing you. Personally, I believe is better to provide a consistent answer and some tips to a beginner rather than giving a one sentence answer and blaming them for what they shouldn't have done. I am tired of hearing "oh we have such a huge flux of newcomers with the same question" when in fact, it is your decision to reply or not. Better give a consistent reply to 5 people a day than a lame answer to 20 :)
by Røng

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic For beginners and more experienced!

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #40264

Røng wrote: Actually I am here trying to support newcomers and tell them that they should expect some negativity

You see it as negativity. It's not. You want to learn bonsai, so it seems to me it is important to learn what is bonsai and what is not, and if you're on the right path or not.

they shouldn't give up on the passion that ignited in their soul

That I fully agree with - but how could some grumpy remarks from old members that have seen the same questions and the same mallsai and have given the same answers lots and lots of times make you give up?

I would like to see people focusing on QUALITY rather than QUANTITY.

I think with that belongs the need to be openminded about your OWN work and accept it when it is not quality work.

But I'm tired too - of discussing the same subject once again. I understand it is disappointing that your first attempts at doing bonsai did not get the positive response you were hoping for. Better learn to deal with that. Bonsai is an art and you will be criticized - the same way my trees will be criticized.
by Auk

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

Replied by spacewood on topic For beginners and more experienced!

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #40265
There are some mallsai's that hold secret potential. You just need good eye and little bit of luck. I also think they can give a good start to the total noobs. They just need to pass through the noob phase and understand what they got and where they should go.
by spacewood

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic For beginners and more experienced!

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #40278
Yup. Which is why I wrote this: www.growingbonsai.net/why-is-my-tree-not-a-bonsai/

That way I do not have to be grumpy. I just post a link instead. Somehow that also leads to people getting their feathers rubbeed the wrong way.

If you ask questions, be prepared to get an answer. Telling someone they have a great bonsai where they have a 2 year seedling pine in a bucket of mud does NOT help them grow, contrary to some peoples opinions. .
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Felidae