Bonsai forum

Newbie Worries

• PickettBowtruckle
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Newbie Worries was created by PickettBowtruckle

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43321
Hi there! B)
I am new with bonsai, I\ve read some about it but today I bought my first tree. Its a ficus ginseng. Now, I have several ideas in my head, but I would like to make the root look a bit like it has two arms and two legs. Possible? Idk, I am a newbie lol. I probably have to read about wiring etc.

My question for you is, what techniques could I use? And, how fast do these fellas grow? How long does it take to heal wounds? Where can I buy Japanese Wound Paste?

Pickett
by PickettBowtruckle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PickettBowtruckle
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by PickettBowtruckle on topic Newbie Worries

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43326
A picture could be good help... here is Pickett (yes, I gave it a name) :cheer:
It is young, i think. If so, should it be outside?
by PickettBowtruckle

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• GreenHands420

Replied by GreenHands420 on topic Newbie Worries

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43327
You may keep the ficus inside if you wish, it is a tropical plant therefore it can survive inside. I have a ficus currently inside that sits near the window with filtered light. Growing pretty amazing actually so if you want it as an indoor bonsai go for it. If you decide to keep it outside just make sure to protect it from the frost, depending on where you live you may or may not need to worry.
Last Edit:5 years 8 months ago by GreenHands420
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by GreenHands420.

• GreenHands420

Replied by GreenHands420 on topic Newbie Worries

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43328
As far as techniques go. You will most benefit from wiring at the stage it is currently in. Read up on wiring, there are tons of videos and blogs online so it shouldn’t be hard to get some knowledge under your wing about it. Some pruning maybe would also benefit in order to redirect growth and start shaping at an early stage. Otherwise people also tend to let it grow vigorously a couple seasons that way you have a selection of branches and leaves to prune when it comes time to start shaping. Those are some good and basic techniques that you can try on the little guy when you’re ready and have read a little more about both techniques. As far as wounds go there is no exact healing time as the healing process depends on the severity of the cut. The better tools you have, the less of a wound you will create, therefore setting up a shorter healing time for the plant. Usually it will take a few of growing seasons. As layers of the trunk form it will eventually cover up the wound unless it’s very severe. Wound paste helps significantly though and it can be ordered off of any bonsai shop online or even amazon. Great choice for a first bonsai, it is a very resilient plant that withstands a lot and is a good choice to practice your techniques on.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your bonsai!!
by GreenHands420

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Newbie Worries

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43869
This is just an ordinary house plant in a plastic pot. Wiring is not an option on a plant like this. Buy a book and read about what bonsai is, it is not this plant. You also have it in another pot with no holes, make sure that you do not allow it to stand in water.
by m5eaygeoff