Bonsai forum

What are your favorite species to work with? Your least favorite?

• e-babe
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

What are your favorite species to work with? Your least favorite? was created by e-babe

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43425
I am not that experienced in the art of bonsai itself, but I do like to work with woody succulents and medicinal types. tropical plants are also a favorite of mine. I've never worked with conifers, before; however, I would very much like to, as they are some of my favorite species.

generally speaking, I try to avoid plants that are toxic to animals; if I cannot resist the plant species, I keep it separate from the rooms my animals use actively. the one plant species I absolutely refuse to cultivate are oleander shrubs; I just cannot trust them.
by e-babe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic What are your favorite species to work with? Your least favorite?

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43432

e-babe wrote: if I cannot resist the plant species, I keep it separate from the rooms my animals use actively.

Welcome to the forum.
Don't ever keep a bonsai indoors, and of course don't let them share the same space as your animals.
Back to the subject:
My favorite trees are tropicals (as I live in a tropical country), but I really like working with the pines (akamatsu and kuromatsu; goyomatsu are impossible in Brazil).
I hate boxwoods, podocarpus, mallsaiis in general and nowadays I am hating Azaleas (but only because I kill all of them, it's a divine gift I have, I guess).
No, in fact I love Azaleas during the short time they keep alive in my hands.
by Clicio

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Replied by Felidae on topic What are your favorite species to work with? Your least favorite?

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43438
Hey Julie :) How’s your Jasmine doing? Me, as a beginner, I go through a Maple phase. Looks like I’ll collect them all, but my fav could change very well on the following years.

Clicio wrote: ..I hate boxwoods, podocarpus, mallsaiis in general and nowadays I am hating Azaleas...

Did you just forgot Serissas? ;)
by Felidae

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Clicio on topic What are your favorite species to work with? Your least favorite?

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43443

Felidae wrote: Did you just forgot Serissas? ;)

Serissa?
Who is Serissa?
;)
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic What are your favorite species to work with? Your least favorite?

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43452
Not sure I have a favorite species. If I have to look at what I have sitting around.. I have a dozen or so maples. A handfull of Yews, a bunch of Larch, some olives Some dozen junipers and a bunch of hornbeams. Then some flowering species: A few Azaleas, a few malus and some cherries/plums. Then of some 10 other species to odd individual tree.

I think Yew are maybe the easiest to work with, as they backbud profusely, are easy to wire. Create good deadwood.
Quickest results I find you can get with Larch
Prettiest flowers the japanese plum, Prunus mume
Junipers are the most versatile
Carpinus are just a must :)

Ah well.. Yeah. No preferred species.
I do have the magic finger of death when it comes to pines though.
by leatherback

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43470

leatherback wrote: Ah well.. Yeah. No preferred species.
I do have the magic finger of death when it comes to pines though.

So what's your least favorite?
by Clicio

• DnS
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by DnS on topic What are your favorite species to work with? Your least favorite?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45012
HELLO,

I'm in Tanzania, that's East Africa, and am also new to bonsai. So tropicals, as importing would make most other trees expensive, I intend to get much better before venturing down that road. So far I am working with broad-leaf species, I feel like I understand leaves as opposed to needles. That said the journey has just begun and deadwood on those old pines is makes some incredible trees.

@clicio
We have a tree here, duranta repens and other variants, they make some great bonsai. Going through the internet I found most of the picture were linked to blogs and sites in Portuguese. I hope you don't mind me asking; Do you have experience working with these trees.
ricardopaiva.wordpress.com/meus-bonsai-2/duranta-grande/

link attached has some great yamadori duranta. Added bonus is the natural look deadwood has on these beautiful trees.
by DnS

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45015
DnS, hello.
yes, they are called "Drop of Gold" around here and grow like a weed.
Used as wedges, they are perhaps as common here as boxwood.
Very easy to grow, and they take hard pruning well.
I am thinking about buying one myself, me and Leatherback have seen some thick ones two weeks ago in a bonsai show in São Paulo.
by Clicio

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic What are your favorite species to work with? Your least favorite?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45022
Yeah, those were cool!
by leatherback