• Page:

TOPIC:

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46553

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Temperatures droppewd a little deeper than expected last night. So happy I moved all my mediteranean species under cloth with a anti-frost cable

So I life across the border in the coldest part. Interesting to see how on a short distance (The Netherlands is only about 200km wide) you have huge variation in temperatures!

This morning in my town:

How is your winter coming along?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46554

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46
I'm just outside your map, -6°C last night, - -7°C the coming night. Don't think I'll be sleeping outside...

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46555

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Where I am in the south of England we are quite mild. Further north they have been having frost and snow, but we have not seen any of that. We have only had a few days frost this winter. The grass has hardly stopped growing and buds are thinking about moving.

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46559

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Temperatures here dropped to just below freezing, after several days of rain, highs about 50F/10C. This morning water on the trays on the benches was frozen, but the dog's dish on the ground was not frozen, so what caused the freezing was air temperatures.

What part of cold weather kills bonsais? Would sitting them on the large heat sink we call the earth help them? I took the ones that had been leafing out in the garage, so they should be ok.

By comparison, my son in Rochester, NY, had -8F/-22C. That's cold.

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46562

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

What part of cold weather kills bonsais? Would sitting them on the large heat sink we call the earth help them? I took the ones that had been leafing out in the garage, so they should be ok.

i put most of mine on the ground. Only the junipers are still sitting on their shelves.

www.growingbonsai.net/what-kills-bonsai-in-winter/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46577

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'll do that this afternoon. Temperatures are going to be cold for a couple of weeks, it looks like. Cold = below freezing most of the time.

One thing to add to what kills bonsais in the winter is mice, and other pests chewing the bark, particularly for trees moved inside an unheated room. It seems cold to us, but to the mice who manage to get inside it is 20-30 degrees warmer than out there, no wind, and some nice person has given them all this tree bark to eat.

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46593

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You mentioned gingko seeds outside waiting for spring to sprout. Are they sitting out in the cold, too?

I have 8 gingko seeds sitting outside, from about the same time as you mentioned.

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46598

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

You mentioned gingko seeds outside waiting for spring to sprout. Are they sitting out in the cold, too?

Ginko are cold hardy. I sprouted a few dozen of them 2 years ago. Most of the winter they were embedded in ice.

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46602

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
We got to -7 or -8 C sunday/monday. It looks like this part of west-central Europe will stay pretty cold for the next few weeks.
the last two years my crabapple tree was sprouting in February. I hope that doesn't happen this year.

Brrr 5 years 2 months ago #46603

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
We had rain last night to after midnight, then it stopped and turned cold with frost in the morning, then this afternoon it was wet snow for a while and only about 2C I don't get problems with mice etc., none of my trees go inside anywhere

• Page: