• Page:

TOPIC:

Literati - How to Plan? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47924

• Bunsen33
  • Bunsen33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
I've always loved the look of the literati style and I would like to train a tree into this form. Currently none of my projects would fall into this category.

For those of you who have gone the literati route before, and those of you with significant bonsai experience, I have questions about your process. Thanks!

Was the literati styling the initial intent or a decision that was made after purchasing the material?

If it was the initial intent, what did you look for in the tree when you chose it?

Did you start with a younger tree and train it over X years or did you feel that the tree was like 80% 'finished' after the first styling?

Thoughts on mid-sized to larger leafed deciduous trees for literati? Or just general species suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Literati - How to Plan? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47928

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I am working now on a literati. Pretty much the only thing possible with the aterial I was sold. A friend of mine dug up some 100 juniper trees and he has been selling them. This one was 2 metres tall witl onlu foliage in the upper 50cm.

Literati in general should have sparse foliage, relatively thin trunk and lots of movement in the trunk of some other features that make the trunk interesting.

Literati - How to Plan? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47929

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927
I love literati style trees :) Have a look at the book by Qingquan Zhao - Literati style penjing, it is huge inspiration for me.
And here is the link for my literaiti project:
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/pruning-and-w...ng-mother-with-twins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunsen33, Clicio

Literati - How to Plan? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47954

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I've always loved the look of the literati style and I would like to train a tree into this form. Currently none of my projects would fall into this category

Ah... literati or bunjin. An amazing style when done right. I tried it once and failed miserably.

Was the literati styling the initial intent or a decision that was made after purchasing the material?

It should be the initial intent. You should select a tree that's suitable. General rules concerning tapering do not apply. You do not need tapering at all. You do need a trunk that has great, interesting, but natural, movement. It is the most important aspect of a literati style bonsai, imho.

If it was the initial intent, what did you look for in the tree when you chose it?

The tree I selected had a very long trunk. Very straight too, and I thought I could manage ty bring movement into it. It did not work out.

Thoughts on mid-sized to larger leafed deciduous trees for literati? Or just general species suggestions?

I would prefer to not use a deciduous tree, but a conifer, preferably a pine. They can grow literati style in nature.

There are many options. A very straight, long, slender trunk with foliage on top. A very curvy trunk, with lots of movement. Look up images for inspiration, you'll notice that many options work but many don't work either. It's all about the balance of the final tree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunsen33

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: