Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

How do you grow a maple from seed 4 years 11 months ago #48580

• The Speeding Sloth
  • The Speeding Sloth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey everyone I have a question about growing maple trees from seed.

30 years ago my fiance lost his father in a car accident and at his grave site they planted a maple tree soon after. Last summer I gathered some seeds that have fallen from this tree and I have been drying them out ever since.... so I was wondering what was the best way to try and germinate these. I'm not sure what kind of maple it is and it doesn't need to be a bonsai I just think it'd be a wonderful gift for my fiance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do you grow a maple from seed 4 years 11 months ago #48586

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Maple seed are best planted directy after they riped, as far as I know. Drying them might have reduced their viability.

Maples need a period of cold stratification of 1-3 months. So the frequently seen course of action would be to soak them in water for 24 hrs. Then place them on moist spaghnum moss, in a baggy in the fridge. After 3 months plant them in pots and wait. For me, I normally plant seeds in pots directly after soaking, in fall. Then place the pots outside under a bench in the shade out of the wind under a piece of wiremesh (against rodents & birds). THen I wait for spring and the seeds germinate. To me, that is how nature designed the system and that is good enough for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: