Brazilian Pride in Cold Europe

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #48866 by leatherback
Brazilian Pride in Cold Europe was created by leatherback
Soo.. Every once in a while I am in Brazil. Last year I had the opportunity to join Clicio to a show in Sao Paulo. Unfortunately, it was spring, so temperatures got stuck in mid-30-ies celcius. At the show there were some sellers too, and I picked up a raintree. To be exact, a brazilian raintree. I was travelling for work and I had to bring it with me to the copacabana:
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Earlier this week it was released from the winter storage and I put it into my greenhouse, as the nights are still too cold in the free air:

And I am happy this one survived. Because over the weekend I repotted a bunch of seedlings of the same species. They are less happy..

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by leatherback.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Jack-Miller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.
4 years 11 months ago #48867 by Clicio
Replied by Clicio on topic Brazilian Pride in Cold Europe
The seedlings will survive. They are sulking now, but they will be happy in a few days.
Congrats for the big one, it looks GREAT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

4 years 11 months ago #48871 by leatherback
Replied by leatherback on topic Brazilian Pride in Cold Europe
I think the seedlings will drop their leaves, then push new growth. I went boldly, and clipped 80% of the roots off, leaving only the basis of a radial rootspread. :)

I am still considering finding a crazy BRT stump. If you have any thoughts on where I might source one..

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #48875 by Clicio

leatherback wrote: I am still considering finding a crazy BRT stump. If you have any thoughts on where I might source one..

Well, well, well...
Last weekend I went to a bonsai show at the Botanical gardens here in São Paulo, and guess what?
The SAME vendor you purchased a BRT from, well this guy had a big BRT stump, old, thick, beautiful movement, nice leopard bark, and I DIDN'T buy it 'cause I'm out of space on my bench, and my brother will move from the country property.
Ridiculous price as always.
R$250, around €60.
Hopefully we can trace this guy and get to his BRT's nest?

;)
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Clicio.

4 years 11 months ago #48882 by leatherback

Clicio wrote:

leatherback wrote: Well, well, well...
Last weekend I went to a bonsai show at the Botanical gardens here in São Paulo, and guess what?;)

Oohhw.. And you did not ask me to join. Incidentally.. I was originally planning on being in S this week, but things were changed around!

Clicio wrote:

leatherback wrote: I'm out of space on my bench, and my brother will move from the country property.

I actually have the guy in fakebook. but my portuguese is not good enough to really communicate with him. I should actually send him this picture too. Hm.. Now.. Scrolling through thousands of fakebook contacts.. What was his name again..

Clicio wrote:

leatherback wrote: and my brother will move from the country property.

Nooo! What will you do wit your trees!??

3 years 11 months ago #58757 by leatherback

Clicio wrote: Hopefully we can trace this guy and get to his BRT's nest?

You realize that if you are still in-country, I do expect you to join me on a trip to see this guy at some point after the whole COVID lockdown is over, right?
Got a new position and for the time being, Brazil is still in my area of responsibility

Brazilian Pride in Cold Europe - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

3 years 11 months ago #58793 by Clicio

leatherback wrote:
You realize that if you are still in-country, I do expect you to join me on a trip...

Definitely, if I happen to be still here.
We are far from the peak of COVID-19 here and already 7k deaths...
Can't move at the moment, staying indoors and boring myself to death.

This message has an attachment image.

3 years 11 months ago #58802 by leatherback
Yeah, I know. As you can imagine, I am following quite closely what is happening there. Hang in. Not a happy place at the moment.

Can you move to the countryside for a bit?

3 years 11 months ago #58871 by Clicio

leatherback wrote: Can you move to the countryside for a bit?

Unfortunately not at the moment.
But... The trees on the bench are happy!
Watering them every day, taking old wiring off, autumn pruning the tropicals, taking old needles off pines, fertilising like crazy to prepare for the winter... The works!