Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Paulownia kawakamii 4 years 10 months ago #50133

• J8ngles
  • J8ngles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello again :)

I have looked through tools and I hope this is a good set of tools that I have chosen?

Is there anything else tool wise I should get?

Many thanks

kaneshin.shop2.multilingualcart.com/goods_en_jpy_222.html

kaneshin.shop2.multilingualcart.com/goods_en_jpy_106.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Paulownia kawakamii 4 years 10 months ago #50134

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
The kit is very good, I got one myself two years ago.
Instead of the rake/spatula I would purchase either a branch cutter or a bigger straight concave cutter for trunks and big branches. Think about it. Ah, and a metal chopstick is useful all the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J8ngles

Paulownia kawakamii 4 years 10 months ago #50139

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Good bonsai pots have a numbr of large holes for drainage. But also several (typically 3 or 4) small holes. You put the wires through the small holes. YOu can then loope the wires through the rootball and connect them to eachother.

In the first years a bonsai does not have a dense rootball. You will have to find a way to tie the plant down when you have the roots cleaned. As for using a hose to clean: Not all species like this. Especially conifers have big problems with intense rootwork. Deciduous broadleaf in general can be bare-rooted just as buds begin to swell, at which time roots can be pruned too.

Roots are pruned when the pot is so full of roots that growth slows down and water cannot pass through. Some species grow agrressivel, and needs repotting every other year. Some, such as pines, can take a decade without repotting.

Roots above the ground are achieved by potting the tree high in the pot, and letting the soil reode away over the coarse of a season

Paulownia kawakamii 4 years 10 months ago #50640

• J8ngles
  • J8ngles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Sorry for the late reply :)

Thank you you so much for all your input and explaining alot to me.

I have been reading alot more and there is loads to learn. I'm going to to just try and error I guess. I will keep you posted on how I am getting on:)

Paulownia kawakamii 4 years 10 months ago #50642

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54
If you're serious about getting into Bonsai, then join a club You will get hands on guidance and different opinions. If there are no clubs around, then read, read, and read. Then maybe you'll feel comfortable working on your own. Personally I never bought training pots, or paid full price for Bonsai pots. I make pots from old garden center pots and found pots in flee markets and small garden centers that sold pots on sale. Some were even given to me. I personally think that for the first 4-5 years, it's all about keeping certain species of trees alive. So it really should not matter what kind of pot it's in, until you want to show it or begin it's long distance training.

• Page: