• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese Elm styling 4 years 7 months ago #52769

• Chenoa
  • Chenoa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello
New member to this wonderful site and forum

I recently acquired an 8yr old Elm which was having a hard time due to pests and fungal issues and over watering.
Since coming into my care with a new care regime it has bounced back remarkably , a lot of new healthy buds and growth.
The issue I have is I don’t think it has flow or form and seeking advice on should I allow it to grow out this spring/summer and give it structured prune in late autumn for the following spring or try to work with the some what lacking style .
All advice welcome

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Chinese Elm styling 4 years 7 months ago #52774

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
It is looking very poorly still, it must have been bad. I think that you need to grow it for at least a year to get some vigour back into it. As we are in autumn no fertiliser until next spring. Then allow to grow unchecked. Later in the year then if it is strong it can be pruned.Unless the soul is not draining I would not re pot for at least another year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chenoa

Chinese Elm styling 4 years 7 months ago #52777

• Chenoa
Yes the elm had issues from black spot , aphids, one boring caterpillar and scale the poor tree was seeping sap from fine branches
I live in Australia and we are in early spring so I will allow to grow unchecked for the season and get health and vigorous growth again
Pot drains freely no problems will water retention unsure of its last repotting will leave it till next spring
And continue with updates on my elm

Chinese Elm styling 4 years 7 months ago #52779

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hey, welcome.

Looks like the tree is off to a good start with you. Do you have more trees?

Where in Australia do you live? Most cities have some bonsai club, and i would recommend linking up with them too.

Get the plant s tronger. In a month or so it should be clear what is healthy and what is dead. After that you can make a plan.

Probably best would be to do a full structural prune next winter getting rid of all unneeded branches and shortening the ones to keep. That will breate better taper i the branches and you can put some.movement in the new branches as they grow.

For the next weeks focus on health. De fertilize as you are getting ready for sssuuummeerrre!

Chinese Elm styling 4 years 7 months ago #52792

• Chenoa
Hi leatherback thanks for the welcome

I live in Port Stephens 2hrs from Sydney and alas no enthusiasts groups in local area so flying solo at the moment
I have one Japanese maple still establishing itself and far to young at this point for training as it was a cutting first new leafs have appeared , I did have some bonsai in my earlier days yet lacked the knowledge and patience required and yep killed them , now I’m a tad older and have the patience etc I thought i’d start again

I haven’t fertilised elm as such yet was more focused on it’s health issues and looking at it the perplexing style of god only knows what they where trying to accomplish it does my head in lol

All my plants not just bonsai are kept in a courtyard covered by shade sails so they get lovely morning sun and partial afternoon sun no midday sun or it would fry them in the middle of summer and I bring bonsai at this point in of an evening pampered much lol but eventually they will be slowly adjusting to being outside permanently to do their natural thing.

I will continue to let it grow and get it back to full health over spring/summer and then start focusing on the other later
Thank you for taking the time to share thoughts will give updates on progress

Chinese Elm styling 4 years 7 months ago #52798

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
You say you bring the tree inside in the evening? I would say.. don't. Plant are on a much slower cycle than we are. By putting it in and out every day, they plant has a hard time settling in its local climate. Pick a spot and leave it there I would recommend.

From the picture it looks like the tree wants to live. With the right care I expect tje plant to burst with life over de next weeks. Especially Elm has a way to exploding once happy.

Chinese Elm styling 4 years 7 months ago #52845

• Chenoa
Hi leatherback
I placed the Elm straight back out in the courtyard after reading your message

It then occurred to me you where right messing with it’s temperature and environment and to let it settle properly
I just wanted to give it a fighting chance considering it was slowly giving up when I acquired it yet has showed remarkable resistance to it being so poorly taken care of , small mistake noted I will not make it again.
Thanks for giving your feedback much appreciated :)
Ohhh I have spare pots ranging in sizes I used 12x9x5 small pot and created this little number yesterday afternoon

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: