Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53597

• Intrigued_Voyager
  • Intrigued_Voyager's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
I'm trying to start a bonsai club at my college and I have all the materials to grow 8 different species for everyone in it. To maintain interest I want to get everyone a tree they can nurture asap, but it's October and even though the trees would be kept inside, I am unable to find any information on whether first year saplings need to overwinter to survive. So my question is, would it be okay to grow these baby trees indoors over the winter, or will they not survive due to a biological clock being put off balance?
I got 2 of these kits: www.amazon.com/Ashbrook-Outdoors-Bonsai-...d=1570984028&sr=8-12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53598

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
That is really ambitious of you! A seedgrown plant Takes long time before you can start to design it as bonsai. At least 10 years but often more. If you get your members to keep their interest for that long, I will be impressed.

Br
Magnus

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53600

• Intrigued_Voyager
Yes, and that's why I'm excited! I have lots of plans for this club, such as getting funding from my school to invest in a small greenhouse as well as nursery trees so the wait isn't as long to begin fashioning a bonsai ;)
It will be a long journey for sure, but I am excited!

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53601

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok. Back to the topic then.

This kit includes several different seeds for trees from totally different environments. You need to read about every species one by one. Dont limit yourself to bonsai resources. As you dont find the best expertice on seed germination amongst bonsai People.

Br
Magnus

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53603

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Most species of treesin these kits are of species that are supposed to be outdoors. So chack what you have, but work towards making a place outside to grow these plants.

For bonsai, plants that could be kept indoors are less than ideal. In order to grow bonsai you will need to get perfectly healthy plants, or else all you do to them will risk their life.

If you really want to grow from seed, be aware it takes a long time. Also, stop buying these kits. They are a pricey rip off. There are no bonsai seeds. There are only seeds of plants, some species of which are more suited for bonsai.

If you are in a temperate region, consider getting seeds of trident maple or larch seeds. These are fairly fast growing species and will yield you acceptable results in a reasonable amount of time. e.g., www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/general/8325-...-years-in-the-making

Do let us know which species you are growing. Many people on this forum dabble into growing plants from seeds and have the expertise to get you going. If you are headed into winter, I would wait a bit. Many temperate species need a winter period of minimum 90 days to break them for germination. However you ideally want them to germinate in early spring. So planting them in december, january and keeping the pots outside (Shielded from rodents and birds) would be a good start.

Do look into stratification though www.growingbonsai.net/germinating-treeseeds/

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53604

• Intrigued_Voyager
I am aware that there are no "bonsai seeds," I opted to buy the kits as they provided the most value for the materials as opposed to getting everything individually for an entire club (seed variety, peat pots+trays, seed starting soil, etc.)

A lot of people in the reviews seem to have been able to grow the seeds without stratification, making me think they were pre stratified which is why I'm hesitant to sow them right away since many would sprout by November and I'm unsure if that's safe for them, indoors or outdoors.

And trust me, I dislike the concept of keeping trees indoors as well! It would only be temporary to get little guys through the winter. Eventually I want to get a greenhouse and some benches set up on campus to store/display everything.

I'm unsure which species my members will be choosing so likely all of them included in the kit.

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53606

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
There are Tropical tree seeds in the kit as well. What is included is not a secret so no need to speculate. It is just a matter of reading the product description.

Br
Magnus

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53608

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
At least there is one good advise on that box: the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

When to plant seeds? 4 years 6 months ago #53609

• Koisai
  • Thanks received: 8

At least there is one good advise on that box: the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.

Hey, maybe scientists should start working harder on time machines... bonsai people, the untapped market, lol.

• Page: