Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54235

• Jltplant61
  • Jltplant61's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Here's an update on my bonsai slab i started 2 weeks ago. Any comments welcomed.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54236

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Nice, and now I'm very curious what it'll look like once you've planted trees on it.

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54240

• Jltplant61
Me too, i looking at some decidous trees trying to get em as small as i can. Planning a rock cliff like scene on one side a tree grove in the middle and a house a some trees on the other end. But still looking for the kind of trees that would be good for indoor planting. I got a pretty good size window to put the slab at. It will take some time.

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54246

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

Me too, i looking at some decidous trees trying to get em as small as i can. Planning a rock cliff like scene on one side a tree grove in the middle and a house a some trees on the other end. But still looking for the kind of trees that would be good for indoor planting. I got a pretty good size window to put the slab at. It will take some time.

from your picture, it looks like you have a terrace, or garden... why not pick some trees that thrive in your climate, and put the landscape outside? Trees are generally not good indoors. some tropical species can survive indoors... but do not thrive.

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54255

• Jltplant61
Its like 35 inches long and 16 to 17 inches wide. I live in climate 5. Do u have any tree suggestion? What do u mean by thrive?

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54259

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The terrace is that big? depending on how much light you have in winter, and the ability to keep the humidity up inside, your trees may or may not suvive inside, even if they are tropical species. I lived in an apartment, which basically had a wall of windows facing south west and a wall of windows facing south... only after I was able to put them outside, did they begin to resemble anything like a bonsai, to be able to train a tree, it needs good, steady and vigorous growth... otherwise you can't really do anything with it. I'm happy if I can keep my tropical trees alive during winter, which, because sunrise here is about 9 am and sunset is about 3 pm in the dead of winter.... requires additional light. That's what I mean by thrive.

Here are some suggestions that might help: www.bonsai-and-blooms.com/cold-climate-bonsai-tree-types.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jltplant61

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54265

• Jltplant61
So would it be better to wait till spring to buy my trees? Or could i by them now and hope they survive till winter. I just don't want slab sitting there doing nothing, but i guess thats my fault, i should of waited and studied up more.

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54267

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bonsai is a patient art form.. :-D It depends on the species you are buying, some will need protection where you are and some won't. I've purchased some trees in the fall, and some in the winter, and some right before repotting season started..and they've all done fine... any issues were not caused by the winter, but by me. :-D. If you were going to buy maples for example, I would get them now, so that you can repot in spring.

Don't worry about the pot doing nothing.. it looks like a good pot, plus you have the opportunity to plan the trees you'll plant in it better, than if you just went ahead and did it... which generally speaking get's better results. I'd reccomend studying landscape plantings... you can also look at Mimo's(here on the forum) landscapes if you want some inspiration, that is if you haven't already.

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54270

• Jltplant61
So lets say i purchased some maples , or chinese elms, would i keep them outside or inside for the winter? And repot them in the spring? I really wanted to try some inside plants i been wondering if i can put some lights and a humidifier to help the plants inside. But i guess i won't know till i try. And if they die then its just a waste of money and time.

Update. 4 years 4 months ago #54271

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Keep them outside.

You do not need to try. Thousands have gone before you. Thousands have failed. Few have succeeded.

Bonsai is more than keeping a plant alive. To develop good trees you need plants at the top of their game. You will not readily get that inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, crent89

• Page: