Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

My elm 4 years 5 months ago #54279

• Cerbios
  • Cerbios's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello, been using the tutorials from this site for years but have never posted, so this is my first. This is my Chinese elm. It's about six and a half years old now. I bought it as pre-bonsai about five years old and have been working on rather slowly. When I got it, its branch structure was a mess and I've been working on turning it to a windswept style which I think best highlights what were it's most interesting branches. I am using solely clip and grow for this one no wires. It just got a major cut today which sees it finally starting to resemble the style I was going for so I decided to show it off. Obviously it still has a long way to go branch refinement wise and it's currently in a larger training pot but in a few more years I think it will look nice.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Cerbios. Reason: didnt add picture correctly

My elm 4 years 5 months ago #54286

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Nice start, but somehow, it doesn't work for me.
If the tree was exposed to strong winds all the time, the trunk would not be so straight.
if the trunkw as not exposed to strong winds all the time, but here's a strong wind now, the top would not be bent, but only the branches.

What doesn't help is that one branch grows against the wind, while the lower branch is growing upwards.

Guess you've got more work to do.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

My elm 4 years 5 months ago #54318

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160
Nice start, for me I would change the angle of the trunk, somewhere 45° to the right, as if it's growing on a rock

• Page: