Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54433

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

So, some people are saying it’s possible but I think your right, Leatherback. I think I need to find a bush but we don’t have junipers in our area. Would you mind showing me a picture of a juniper that is older and has a thicker trunk? I want to know what I can make and what is to impossible. Thanks for the reply’s I’m not to sad about knowing that I can’t make it look like that but it would still be really cool if I could.

You're moving the first steps, so don't rush it.
First, start learning about how to keep your plant(s) alive and well. Without that, you ain't going anywhere.
It will take you a few years to properly manage the various aspects (watering, fertilizing, pruning, repotting, etc).
Meanwhile, if you wish, start studying bonsai and penjing aesthetics; that will give you inspiration.
Here on B.E. there are a number of video courses available: I strongly suggest them, as well as the videos on B.E.'s youtube channel.
If you have a bonsai club next to you, consider frequenting it: getting suggestions and guidance from people with a larger experience than yours will help a lot.

Again, don't rush it. It will take quite a while, even if (like it's probably going to be the case) you'll never be able to create a plant like the one in the picture you've attached.

When you chew the basics enough, you can start stepping into real bonsai field: depending on your options you can either start collecting plants to turn into bonsai (or, better said, attempt to) or buy them.

If you go with the latter, just know that a plant with good potential can start from a couple hundred USD, while one with seriously good potential (still nothing like the one you sent here) will be over one thousand. That's for junipers from 30 to 80 years old -give or take- and with the right "movement"
A plant with a potential to be like the one you liked here is in the tens of thousands, being multiple hundreds years old.

That doesn't mean you can't turn yours into a good looking bonsai. It will just be a very, very slow process.

How can it look like? That's largely up to you.
Start getting some experience in the techniques -what you can do to a plant and how- and the rest is all about how you decide to apply (your vision) and how good you are at it (your skills).
That's what makes this hobby so interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by BofhSkull.

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54434

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

one with seriously good potential (still nothing like the one you sent here) will be over one thousand. That's for junipers from 30 to 800 years old -give or take- and with the right "movement"

Agreed and good post.. but for 800 year old trees with the right movement and seriously good potential... you can change the 'one' before thousand into 'several' and put an 's' after it. Probably even 'tens of' in stead of 'several'.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54435

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

one with seriously good potential (still nothing like the one you sent here) will be over one thousand. That's for junipers from 30 to 800 years old -give or take- and with the right "movement"

Agreed and good post.. but for 800 year old trees with the right movement and seriously good potential... you can change the 'one' before thousand into 'several' and put an 's' after it.

indeed sorry. was supposed to be "80" but it came out like that. Corrected immediately after publishing it...

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54436

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

So, some people are saying it’s possible but I think your right, Leatherback. I think I need to find a bush but we don’t have junipers in our area. Would you mind showing me a picture of a juniper that is older and has a thicker trunk? I want to know what I can make and what is to impossible. Thanks for the reply’s I’m not to sad about knowing that I can’t make it look like that but it would still be really cool if I could. Any ideas or opinions on how the tree should look would help because I don’t know what I want it to end up looking like. And also, what do you think my tree looks like, I was labeled Japanese red cedar but it looks a lot like a juniper. Thanks!

Well.. I posted one which is older already. That one is about 45-50 years old. It is a sister from these two:

All of these were in the ground growing freely for 45 years after which they were dug up by a friend of mine, who had some 40 of these standing around.

For you I would try a more modest tree to go with, which you can do in the next few years:

It will take a lot of growing, ideally in the grounds, for them to get any thickness to them.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tubaboy, BofhSkull

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54439

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
That last one is lovely...

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54453

• TMax
  • TMax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So, everyone’s answers have been really helpful. I have a idea on what I want my tree to look like. I know this will take along time and I’ve done a lot more research. I probably am really annoying to you people who know what you are talking about, lol. Buuuut I have a few more questions

How can I thicken the trunk without it getting taller?

Can a make a jin on the tree once it’s bigger?

And also, can it possibly look like this.

I know it’s not the exact same species of tree but, can I make the general shape?

Also I know all of this will take 30 years+ and I’m not as impatient as most kids and I thought I’d get my bonsai and hope I can have it all my life :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54454

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600

2. Learn Japanese

This step is not exactly necessary. Chinese is easier and they make good trees, too. You can find master in China and Taiwan. There is a monastery in Hong Kong, but they you have to learn Cantonese and nine tones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54455

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

So, some people are saying it’s possible but I think your right, Leatherback. I think I need to find a bush but we don’t have junipers in our area. Would you mind showing me a picture of a juniper that is older and has a thicker trunk? I want to know what I can make and what is to impossible. Thanks for the reply’s I’m not to sad about knowing that I can’t make it look like that but it would still be really cool if I could. Any ideas or opinions on how the tree should look would help because I don’t know what I want it to end up looking like. And also, what do you think my tree looks like, I was labeled Japanese red cedar but it looks a lot like a juniper. Thanks!

with some time, and patience your tree can definitely improve... you've posted pictures of world class bonsai. You're looking at good pieces, for your inspiration, that's a good start. I would personally set my sights a little lower with this particular tree.. do you have a bonsai club near you? or a bonsai nursary? if you do, visit the club and look at what others are doing, or look at the nursary for some raw materials. From the first two pictures, it looks like you are keeping your tree inside. I hope I am mistaken, because if it is, it will not live very long..

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54457

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

!

Well.. I posted one which is older already. That one is about 45-50 years old. It is a sister from these two:

All of these were in the ground growing freely for 45 years after which they were dug up by a friend of mine, who had some 40 of these standing around.

For you I would try a more modest tree to go with, which you can do in the next few years:

It will take a lot of growing, ideally in the grounds, for them to get any thickness to them.

I particularly like the semi-cascade.

Trunk thickening and foliage issues 4 years 4 months ago #54458

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Don't worry about being annoying. You show an interest, willing to learn and accepting some basic facts which is a great start.

As before.. Set your sights a bit lower. To get the sort of trees that you are looking at now, you can either put your plant in the ground. Water, fertilize, lots of sun and every 5-10 years strategic pruning. Then in 40 years see what you have and probably realize that you need another 40 years. Many of these suprt trees have been collected from mountains, and many of them really are centuries old, and come in at 10K plus pricetags. IF it were a matter if just planting cuttings.. They would be more readily available.

With the plant you have now, aim for something that is realistic in a 2-5 years timeframe. Use what you have now to learn how to keep trees happy in pots, to wire and to trim. That way you will learn more easily whether this hobby really is something for you. Over time you might allocate a bigger budget. Then you get older / better trees. The larger trees I posted are all trees I would not have been willing to pay for a decade ago. Now I am sometimes kicking myself for not getting bigger material.

I AM also growing from seed an cuttings for the fun of it. But I keep trees that are getting towards a finalized image too, to ensure I have trees that people look at and say: Wow, nice tree. Otherwise losing interest is very realistic.

Getting trunks bigger means letting the plants grow. Do not worry too much about it getting talller. You can cut that back. A lot of the dead wood on junipers is the result of cutting back bigger trunks / branches. You see the big fat one I posted before? All these sticks sticking out. I need to work on the deadwood to make it look more natural (By carving, pulling fibres, sanding etc). Main thing is to get the first 15cm/6inches from the roots to have an interesting shape. (Look at the 2 smaller ones I posted: One is upright with a gentle curve in the trunk. The other has an extreme curve in the trunk. Did you notice which ones people respond to stronger? it is the strong curves that pull people in and that create the idea of an old gnarled tree).
The following user(s) said Thank You: TMax