Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55480

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
You can google the climate where dwarf jade comes from. For example willowmore. Them it is more obvious what the plant need. Althou it is possible to give the plant a little water when it dont need it, it is a risk and I dont understand why.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55483

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I used to grow succulents in a distant past when I did not have outside space. One of those hobbies where you find you have 4 shelves of succulents in front of the window, carrying 80+ species..

Succulents are used to drying out every once in a while (Except for those from wet parte of the world). When they start to dry out, some of them drain their roots from water. Then, if you wet the soil, the roots can rot easily, which within days seem to jump into the above-ground parts. For these species, misting is good in winter. At some point they will decide spring is there. The roots are re-activated and that is the point when they can deal with water again. In winter I would normally do a minimal waterin by letting the pot soak some water. Litterally a mm of water on the dish below the pot..

Tricky thing is.. It is not always clear which species needs what. I have always gone by: New growth on top is a trigger for re-wetting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55484

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

You can google the climate where dwarf jade comes from. For example willowmore.

I could do that. Or I could look at the results I had with Jades myself. Easy to care for, extremely easy to propagate. At a certain point in time I had so many cuttings, that just kept growing, that I no longer had enough space. Must have been some 80 plants.

So, I'll follow my own guidelines, if you don't mind.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55485

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The comment was for op, not you auk.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55487

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I could do that. Or I could look at the results I had with Jades myself. Easy to care for, extremely easy to propagate.

Crassula or portocularia?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55490

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Tricky thing is.. It is not always clear which species needs what. I have always gone by: New growth on top is a trigger for re-wetting.

What worked for me is to look at the leaves. If they start to shrivel, it needs water.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55491

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In my conditions I have never seen portulacaria schivering, despite bone dry october to mid april. Crassula schrivers a great deal under the same conditions. But I dont water them eighter.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55492

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

In my conditions I have never seen portulacaria schivering, despite bone dry october to mid april. Crassula schrivers a great deal under the same conditions. But I dont water them eighter.

I guess circumstances may be different. I had mine indoors - so no real winter. Yes, they can tolerate very long periods without water and it's easier to over- than to under-water them. However, I did water them - just not much and not often.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 3 months ago #55501

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

What worked for me is to look at the leaves. If they start to shrivel, it needs water.

As said.. All species are different. You water mammilaria in mid-winter because it shrivels, you kill it.

• Page: