• Page:

TOPIC:

The turtle and the hare 3 years 10 months ago #59343

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I see a lot of people enthousaistically get started. Shrubs a re pulled from gardens. In a few weeks time, plants are trunk chopped. Remptted, defoliated and wired. And repotted again. And chopped again. Please keep in mind the read.gov/aesop/025.htmlstory of the turtle and the hare

Only do major actions on healthy plants. If you dig up a tree, do not do anything after the initial chop and potting for at least a year, often longer. After a good wiring and pruning job, it is not time to repot. Defolation is only needed on plants with a full head of foliage, that is so dense that innerr banches start to die off.

Although it feel counter-intuitive, working slowly with large intervals will give you faster results. Defoliating a living but weak tree might result in branch dieback, whereas that same tree in optimal health may through buds everywhere. I have seen this time and again, also on my own trees. Top health makes for fast development. THis includes letting the plant grow for a year after major work has been done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, BofhSkull, crent89, jersey steve, Rorror, FrankC, Cobra, mitchwfs, Albas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The turtle and the hare 2 years 10 months ago #68323

• jersey steve
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a lovely azelea that Im eyeing up and taking your advice I will simply pot it first and leave it for a year. I will take off the flowers when they go over but thats it.

The turtle and the hare 2 years 10 months ago #68398

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160
Did you know that turtles eat bonsai?
No?
So know you know.

• Page: