Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Plant light 3 years 8 months ago #61351

• bengt101
  • bengt101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I've recently moved to a new climate (midwest US) and won't be able to leave my trees outside in the winter. I'm preparing a spot inside for the winter, (yes, I know it's still July, but I'm being proactive). I feel like my basement will still give them enough cold for the winter. I'll probably let the maples and elm experience a freeze or two before letting them winter in dormancy in the garage--I'll probably leave the confers out as long as I possibly can, but the tropicals.... namely the jades and my baobab. The Ming and the ficus I know will have to winter in my one and only sunny room unless someone has a better suggestion.

I wonder if anyone has a recommendation for plant lights? I have a Metro Cart I'm outfitting with a humidifier, heat pads, and plant lights. I haven't had a ton of luck with plant lights in the past and am hoping that someone else has.

Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plant light 3 years 8 months ago #61355

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Find a tropical plant site and see what they say about lights. I would not trust makers of plant lights to make a recommendation.

For the others, find a bonsai group near you and see what they do. Depending on what part of the midwest you are, you might build a cold frame to keep the wind of with a small heat source to keep temperature above 20F/-8C. However, Missouri is a lot different from Minnesota.

Congrats for thinking ahead.

Plant light 3 years 8 months ago #61361

• bengt101
  • bengt101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you. I’m trying to catch up with a bonsai group in Kansas City. They’re either not very active, not very welcoming, or want me to pay to join their group. Emails have been pretty confusing. I’m also trying to get advice from a local nursery, also to not much avail. Alas, I’m glad I’m starting early.... it might just take that long.

Plant light 3 years 8 months ago #61368

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Jade is so easy to overwinter. Find a place with 5 C +- a few degrees. And keep it bone dry, no need for light. Theoretically this goes for all decidious trees, they might need a fan to circulate air as well. However, I have no own experience.

Photosyntesis works the same in all plants, the Only difference is how much every plant needs. And that is dependent on temperature. What is popular right now is full spektrum cold White led light. What you should look for is kelvin 5000-8000, highest possible cri and higest possible lumen to watt ratio. That is generalisations that cant go much wrong. The real photosyntesis action measurements is rarely awailable, the exception beeing expensive professional grow lights.

However, I would suggest a greenhouse and shoose Only species that are hardy enough overwintering in it. The exception beeing jades.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Plant light 3 years 8 months ago #61374

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

And keep it bone dry, no need for light. Theoretically this goes for all decidious trees, they might need a fan to circulate air as well. However, I have no own experience.

This is the best way to kill your trees.

Do NOT keep your trees bone-dry at 5 degrees next to a ventilator.

Plant light 3 years 8 months ago #61386

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

And keep it bone dry, no need for light. Theoretically this goes for all decidious trees, they might need a fan to circulate air as well. However, I have no own experience.

This is the best way to kill your trees.

Do NOT keep your trees bone-dry at 5 degrees next to a ventilator.

For jade, this is the best way. 25 years of experience talking.

Yes, for decidious, I ment 5 degrees without light. Not bone dry. Sorry for my sloppy writing and Thanks for correcting me.

Who Said next to a ventillator?

Plant light 3 years 8 months ago #61391

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Jade does not care how it is wintered. Water and temperature need to be in balance. Like all succulents, if you water, the roots need to be active. For roots to be active you need high temperatures. I have jades that winter in the living room and get watered twice a week. And I have jade that go into a cool room where they stay dry.

Plant light 3 years 8 months ago #61399

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I do the same. In my experience the once that overwintering in cold dark place are the once doing best. But up here they dont get much light anyway, better stay cold.

• Page: