Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

New bonsai bench 1 year 1 month ago #61581

  • lucR
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1347
  • Thanks received: 448
after a lot of thinking ( and negotiations with my wife:) ) my new bonsai bench is ready. Next year a lot of my trees will be repotted into bonsai pots so it will probably look a lot better then. This is about 1/3d of my trees, the rest is on another bench

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Samantha, Mimo, Clicio, crent89, FrankC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New bonsai bench 1 year 1 month ago #61587

  • leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7995
  • Thanks received: 3332
Don't push yourself getting them into bonsai pots. Most people focus too quickly on the pots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New bonsai bench 1 year 1 month ago #61588

  • Ivan Mann
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1363
  • Thanks received: 472

lucR wrote: after a lot of thinking ( and negotiations with my wife:) ) my new bonsai bench is ready. Next year a lot of my trees will be repotted into bonsai pots so it will probably look a lot better then. This is about 1/3d of my trees, the rest is on another bench

I like it. Some questions.

Is it all wood? I had wooden stands for years made from 2x4s, at first untreated, then treated. Even treated rotted away, caused I guess by all the water soaking every day. Now I have non wood deck planks which are ok but not great.

Can you move it or are the legs set? We are about to have work done on the house and I will have to move every single tree, cinder block, and stand. I am not looking forward to this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New bonsai bench 1 year 1 month ago #61601

  • Clicio
  • Clicio's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 3471
  • Thanks received: 1495
It looks great.
Congratulations!
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New bonsai bench 1 year 1 month ago #61604

  • lucR
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1347
  • Thanks received: 448

leatherback wrote: Don't push yourself getting them into bonsai pots. Most people focus too quickly on the pots.


When do you typically move them to a pot? A lot are in the stadium of tertiary branch development.

Ivan Mann wrote: I like it. Some questions.

Is it all wood? I had wooden stands for years made from 2x4s, at first untreated, then treated. Even treated rotted away, caused I guess by all the water soaking every day. Now I have non wood deck planks which are ok but not great.

Can you move it or are the legs set? We are about to have work done on the house and I will have to move every single tree, cinder block, and stand. I am not looking forward to this.


Yes, its pressure impregnated pine, should last at least 10 years like this without further treatment.But i will keep an eye on it , with the first sign of decay i'll treat them a few times, but i doubt it will be necessary. My other bench is of the same material and is about 4 years old now, from recuperation wood that was in a childrens playhouse, about 15 years old in all weather, not a sign of decay.
You made yours from 2*4... that is waay to thin, 2cm will rot in no time... :) ( sorry, i'm taking over Auks role to point out that only a very small part of the world doesnt use the decimal system :cheer: ;) ;) ;) :P ).
The horizontal part can be removed by taking away the bolts, the two legs are standing in concrete. I can imagine moving all your trees is a lot of work!!


Clicio wrote: It looks great.
Congratulations!
:)

Tx Clicio!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New bonsai bench 1 year 1 month ago #61616

  • Ivan Mann
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1363
  • Thanks received: 472
Actually, 2x4 is a trade name for a length of wood that is 1 1/2 inch or something close to that to 3 1/2 inch or something close to that. It started out as 2"x4" and then was milled down and smoothed down, usually losing half an inch or so. In the hardware stores they are labelled 2x4 where other items are labelled 2" and 4". Builders these days refer to them as studs so they don't have to remember that 2 doesn't mean 2. I probably could have said 3.75cm by 7.5 cm, but nobody would have know what that is.:P

Mine would last 5-6 years looking good and then start to be overly weathered, in another couple of years the wood would deteriorate and they would be very shaky by 8 years. I rebuilt them once, then rebuilt just the top and placed them on stacks of cinder blocks, rebuilt thjs once or twice more, and went to deck material which promises to last forever. If it makes ten years it will probably outlast me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New bonsai bench 1 year 1 month ago #61621

  • Samantha
  • Samantha's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 695
  • Thanks received: 151
1.75 by 3.75, my old house has actual 2 by 4. don't know when they quit that.
It really is nice looking though. Nice work
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Samantha.
  • Page:
  • 1