Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Tree Identification 3 years 2 months ago #65238

• Patrick9922
  • Patrick9922's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello. I recently had a family member pass away, and I was given a bonsai tree as a remembrance. I’ve always been interested in this hobby, but now I find myself thrust into it. I was hoping someone could please help me identify the species of this tree, and advise on immediate next steps for care based on the attached picture (e.g., do I trim back the large leaves, and if so how far?). . I am learning as fast as I can, but I don’t want to treat a die in the meantime. Thank you in advance for all your help.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Patrick9922.

Tree Identification 3 years 2 months ago #65240

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Sorry to disappoint you but that is not a bonsai really. It is a braided ficus and belongs in the general houseplant section.
But don't let that stop you from liking this plant and taking care of it ( like you would treat any other normal houseplant).

Tree Identification 3 years 2 months ago #65246

• Patrick9922
  • Patrick9922's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you so much for that clarification. I truly appreciate it. Still looking forward to learning more about bonzai’s and their care.

Tree Identification 3 years 2 months ago #65247

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Well, this is an excellent place to start: loads of info to find on this site, good online lessons ( to buy), and a bunch of experienced ( me not included ;) ) en less experienced ( check) people around to answer your questions. You can also go to a local bonsaiclub ( might be a bit difficult now), youtube is a good source of info too. Check out Bonsai4me, or Kaizenbonsai, or Herons bonsai. Have fun

Edit: maybe a first tip: stay away from socalled indoor bonsai, they do not exist,and just die inside. 99´%of the " help my bonsai is dying" questions here on the forum are from people that keep their trees inside

Last edit: Post by lucR.
  • Page: