TOPIC:

Can Pines sprout from woodish branches? 3 years 1 month ago #65952

• Albas
  • Albas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Hello people!

So today I went scouting some young pine trees, I found some nice ones with some lower branch sprouts.
I've read that Junipers can't grow new shoots where the branch is already woodish...

So for pines, can they grow new sprouts from it?

I've searched for this info but couldn't find it...

Here's one that I found, a little more than a inch thick, already barky, with some gems on the lower trunk...
I got a smaller one, but I don't know much of pines, nor to identify good materials...

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can Pines sprout from woodish branches? 3 years 1 month ago #65954

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I would apreciatte any tips, examples of good yamadori materials, or links, videos on the subject...
Just have in mind that I don't live on a rocky area, so pines grow freely and high.

I collected this small guy, with some nice ramification, this pre-movement there is natural, that wire there it's just to keep it from wobling...
Sorry for it's blurry...

Can Pines sprout from woodish branches? 3 years 1 month ago #65956

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here's another one I found, but I didn't removed, because I wanted to know first if I can do something with this, they are slender and a little poor on needles because they are on the shadow of bigger trees, And those are not native species here and grow by the road, so don't worry about the removal...

I'm sorry if many of you look at this and think this is garbage material that doesn't even worth responding, but I'm learning, and I don't want to mess up big...
I want to practice collecting and designing before doing it on better trees...

Can Pines sprout from woodish branches? 3 years 1 month ago #65959

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Most conifers have a hard time budding on older branches (Notable exception are Yews). Pines and juniperus MIGHT backbud (Throw buds on old wood) but very rarely do so. Especially when under bonsai cultivation only few species do. So design and collect with that in mind. It is also one of the reasons why learning how to graft is a good thing to do if you start collecting.

With pines, let them recover fro at least a year before doing anything. And that is where I will stop because I am not confident enough with collecting pines to know for sure what the pros/cons are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

Can Pines sprout from woodish branches? 3 years 1 month ago #65965

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
On your first picture there are an old trunk with new shoots growing on the bare wood. That is less than a year old backbudding. If it will continue like that after collection is not possible to tell. But it looks like a tree that still have the ability to backbud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

• Page: