Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Keeping track of trees and schedules 3 years 1 month ago #66494

• endlesstrax
  • endlesstrax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm curious how you all keep track of things like last repotting, wiring, and fertilizing schedule, etc with their collection?

The more trees I gain, the harder I'm finding it to keep track of everything. I enjoy collecting different types / species of tree, so their schedules can differ a lot.

Is this something others struggle with? Do you just use spreadsheets, apps, pen/paper, or something else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keeping track of trees and schedules 3 years 1 month ago #66495

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I do not keep track of things. I look at the plant and decide what to do. Fertilizing I do at the same time for pretty much all my trees, where I adjust the amount based on species, plant size and development stage. For some very fast hungry plants I every once in a while add more.

Keeping track of trees and schedules 3 years 1 month ago #66496

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
I made a spreadsheet in Excel: column per tree,row per "action" ( repotted, bought from, dug up where, wired, , ...whatever you want really) or for pictures, page per year. Simple and effective.

Keeping track of trees and schedules 3 years 1 month ago #66502

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
My wife recommended I make a journal. With today's technology I think she had Harry Tomlinson's book in mind.

The last three years I have had three different approaches, every year I forget to take Before pictures, I can't remember when I actually did something, etc. I tried to combine a care guide with each tree, then I decided to have the care guide at the end, etc. Good luck.

One problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to take decent pictures.

If someone has a decent journal and would like j e to share, I would love to see it.

Keeping track of trees and schedules 3 years 1 month ago #66504

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132
I am using a excel sheet for all of my plants. It's in a other language, so i will not post the excel.

They all get an ID number, cuttings get a refrences to the orginal parant.
price bought, where bought, last repot, next repot, todo 2021, todo 2022, pot-zise, potprice, ph value, substrate current, bonsai style, what kind of firtilizer, winterhardiness info, winter green yes/no , wired on date, wire removal date, toxic human/animal info, death date, death remarks (why it died etc). (dead tree's goes to bottom of page, as it is a parant of a cutting that can refer to the old death tree.)
Pictures are stored in folder on ID number of the tree. (if tree dies, you still have the orginal number and pictures of the tree.)
This is some info i use in my excelsheet.

Scaled down version of my excel below. Change in background color in the excel cell, are things to do, so it's easy to find them.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

Last edit: Post by Rorror.

Keeping track of trees and schedules 3 years 1 month ago #66538

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Looks like around 50 trees?

I like different color cells for tasks to do, etc.

I have a section of the journal titled In Memoriam for the trees that die where I move to chapter.

Keeping track of trees and schedules 3 years 1 month ago #66614

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
I've started using bonsaidroid this year.. but we'll see how that goes. It seems to be a bit unstable as a software... but that could also be my operating system.

• Page: