Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Designing for Bonsai, some questions from an interested student 2 years 11 months ago #67207

• Asai
  • Asai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello!

I'm currently a first year industrial design student (like architecture but for products), and as a end of year project am tasked with designing a watering can specifically for bonsai trees. I've been reading beginner guides and am super interested although not yet in the right place to take care of one myself. That being said, does the watering process differ significantly from other plants? Are there any features of watering cans you wished existed? Any problems with the handling, size, and balance of current cans?

Any input helps! It's always better to get experience from people with actual experience.

Thanks so much, and best of luck with the bonsai!

(Also not sure if this is the right place to ask, I figured it was more relevant to misc. than other forums but let me know and I can move the post)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Designing for Bonsai, some questions from an interested student 2 years 11 months ago #67208

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Here's an idea:

Some trees are little bitty in little pots - a couple of inches or maybe 5-6 cm. Some are much larger. I have one 20" wide, or maybe 50 cm. Have a variable sized spray - not just variable speed, but a spray whose diameter can be changed to match the width of the pot.

Designing for Bonsai, some questions from an interested student 2 years 11 months ago #67211

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi and Welcome.

What university are you in? I happen to work in a university, faculty of engineering technology. Qould be happy to be a consultant on your project and have a chat about this.
Let me know if you are interested.

• Page: