Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71556

• Si Guy
  • Si Guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 18
So I have really wanted a bonsai tree of my own for a few years now and now I finally got a tree! It is some kind of pine that I dug up from on my property. I think I saved myself at least a year of growing if I had done it from seed. Anyway, it already has a nice curve that I can work with nicely. I just need to order some wire. Should I cut the top of? Should I prune it more? What would you guys do with it? I used organic potting soil and some gravel since I do not have any bonsai soil. Should I buy and change it out for bonsai soil? I don't really have anything for doing bonsai so any suggestions on what I should get would be greatly appreciated. I realize that I should have probably have put it in a smaller pot, but I already cut a ton of roots of today and did not want to shock it to much to try to cram it into a tiny pot.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71561

• Wes V.
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 17
It doesn't look like a pine to me. Probably another type of conifer. Have close ups of your tree.

It looks like it could already be a bunjin or literati style, which represents trees growing slim and tall to compete with other trees for sunlgiht. Considered to be a feminine style. Google image search bunjin or literati bonsai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Si Guy

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71565

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Its a spruce. Digging up trees and do root work is not done in summer when the tree is activly growing. For now, put it in the shade to recover. After one full successful growing season you can start to think about design.

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71568

• Si Guy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks guys, so a full growing season being the rest of this summer or next summer? should it be outside or can I keep it inside?

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71570

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
If it survives ( big if), do not touch it till next summer, and keep it outside all the time. Inside it will die without any doubt.
Btw, it’s a spruce, known for being notoriously reluctant to being wired. They just return to their natural position in a day after unwiring. ( but that’s nothing you have to worry about for at least a few years)

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71572

• Si Guy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Why do you think it might not survive? If I had got all the roots would it be ok? Why put it outside? I am worried it may get eaten. I probably will never need to wire the main trunk, just the outer branches. Should I change the soil? Right now it is just potting soil and gravel. Anything else I should be doing to help it?

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71577

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The tree has smal chances for survival since you collected it in the middle of the summer. Totally wrong time. You also did big root prunning which further decrease chanse of success.

Do not do any more work on it. No repotting, no styling, no prunning no change of soil. Nothing!

When I say one full growing season that is from early spring to late authum. If the tree was colected mid summer 2021, the first full grow season is 2022. Hence first time to start work on it is late winter or early spring 2023. But only if it has bounced back to full vigour. If not, just wait another year. Bonsai is a maraton, not a sprint.

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71584

• Wes V.
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 17
There’s a chance the tree will go into shock and possibly death. Sorry to tell you that. Plants should only be collected in the winter when they use a lot less of their energy. Disturbing the root system during a growing season, spring and summer, will send a hormonal imbalance throughout the plant. For now, don’t stress it out any further. Don’t do any work whatsoever. Keep it in the shade away from wind.

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71589

• Si Guy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
So I messed up a bit with the first one, but i scouted out 5 new conifers that i will dig up this winter. Also, can you take a cutting to make bonsai in summer? I have an apple, cherry, birch, and saskatoon berry tree, and I would like to make bonsai out of all of them. What is the best way to do this? should I root the cuttings in water? What time of year should I do it?

I got my first tree! 2 years 7 months ago #71590

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Apple can be air layered. Proboably the best way to get a mature tree fast. Start in early spring just after first leafs are out.

Birch cannot be propagated by cuttings.

The other ones I dont know. But google will likelly have tha answer.