Bonsai forum

I got my first tree!

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Albas on topic I got my first tree!

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73089

Tropfrog wrote: ...For my trees (not crassulas) in training I just use leaf compost mixed up with bark mulch. Thats quite budget friendly.

Oh yes! I have a big Jabuticaba Tree that produces a lot of leafs and fruits compost, I use that too, but mixed... :D
Last Edit:2 years 6 months ago by Albas
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Albas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Si Guy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 18

Replied by Si Guy on topic I got my first tree!

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73090
I actually have 20, 5 gallons bags of road traction sand in a shed for my driveway in winter, but was unsure if this was good for bonsai. it is pretty course already. I also have just gravel from a local pebble beach I could potentially use.

Thank you for this helpful info ( :
by Si Guy

• Si Guy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73091

Albas wrote:

Tropfrog wrote: ...For my trees (not crassulas) in training I just use leaf compost mixed up with bark mulch. Thats quite budget friendly.

Oh yes! I have a big Jabuticaba Tree that produces a lot of leafs and fruits compost, I use that too, but mixed... :D

That is actually a perfect option for me, I have years worth of rotting apple compost, and many rotting trees with old bark falling off.
by Si Guy

• Si Guy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73092
WOW! I just searched for Jabuticaba Trees and all I can say is wow, that is such an exotic looking species! You are lucky to have one locally!
by Si Guy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73097
Yes, I agree, they are wonderfull, they are native from here, and it's widely used for bonsai here...

But they are kind of tricky, they are almost impossible to root from cuttings, really really hard to root from air-layering, and it's not easy to find seedlings underneath them as seeds tend to rot before germinate.. They take about 10 years to fructify (if not grafted or hybrid variety)...
Leaving the bonsai artists with the only option of growing it from seed (or being persistant on air-layering tru a whole year or two...
That makes them quite expansive btw...

This one I'm talking is more than 45 years old, planted by my grandpa, have a lot of memories on that, and a few seedlings hahahah. But many people have them on their yard, there's about a dozen just on my block...
Last Edit:2 years 6 months ago by Albas
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Albas.

• Si Guy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73100

Albas wrote: Yes, I agree, they are wonderfull, they are native from here, and it's widely used for bonsai here...

But they are kind of tricky, they are almost impossible to root from cuttings, really really hard to root from air-layering, and it's not easy to find seedlings underneath them as seeds tend to rot before germinate.. They take about 10 years to fructify (if not grafted or hybrid variety)...
Leaving the bonsai artists with the only option of growing it from seed (or being persistant on air-layering tru a whole year or two...

This one I'm talking is more than 45 years old, planted by my grandpa, have a lot of memories on that, and a few seedlings hahahah. But many people have them on their yard, there's about a dozen just on my block...

Wow that is one special tree! and quite rare by the sounds of it! to bad it probably would not grow in my zone. I just can't get over how cool the tree looks. I also cant get over how hard it would be to climb without staining everything you are wearing ( : you must enjoy the fruit too, wiki shows all kinds of recipes for jams and such. Do you live in Brazil? it is native to Brazil, but probably has been spread all over the tropics.
by Si Guy

• Si Guy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73101

Albas wrote: Yes, I agree, they are wonderfull, they are native from here, and it's widely used for bonsai here...

Wow that is one special tree! and quite rare by the sounds of it! to bad it probably would not grow in my zone. I just can't get over how cool the tree looks. I also cant get over how hard it would be to climb without staining everything you are wearing ( : you must enjoy the fruit too, wiki shows all kinds of recipes for jams and such. Do you live in Brazil? it is native to Brazil, but probably has been spread all over the tropics.

(sorry guys, just noticed I clicked the submit button twice, does anyone know if there is a way to delete a post?)
Last Edit:2 years 6 months ago by Si Guy
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Si Guy.

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73114
I don't think you can delete, but shouldn't be a problem...

I know people grow them on Europe and by the Southern USA, Leatherback has one I think, and Ivan Mann, but it may be a challenge there...

The fruit is really tasty, and they don't stain like Mulberry btw, they are white inside. :)
You can't find the fruit for sale, it rot really fast, that's why people make jam, or just buy the tree, they produce once or twice a year (maybe more if hybrid)...

Yes, I live in Brazil, By the southern states (colder regions)...
by Albas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Si Guy

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic I got my first tree!

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73118
Yeah, growing one in Germany. I have a bunch of cuttings. Waiting for over a year now to root. So yeah, hard species to propagate. But if you can get your hands on some fruits: They germinate readily. Mine is outside till first frost.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Si Guy

• Si Guy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 6 months ago #73127

leatherback wrote: Yeah, growing one in Germany. I have a bunch of cuttings. Waiting for over a year now to root. So yeah, hard species to propagate. But if you can get your hands on some fruits: They germinate readily. Mine is outside till first frost.

After first frost you bring it inside?
by Si Guy