Bonsai forum

Sifting though the "noise"

• veritas_ao
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 4

Sifting though the "noise" was created by veritas_ao

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72231
Greetings everyone. I'm very new to bonsai and have already learned a lot. One thing I quickly learned, and this tends to be the trend in our technological age, is the varying opinions. Of course, they are all presented as fact even though there are so many varying "facts". I was gifted a bonsai which was simply labeled "Bonsai Tree". After 2 days of research I figured out it was a Fukien Tea Tree. After much research I've found some who say it's ideal for beginners, easy to care for and an ideal indoor bonsai. Then of course,there are those with the completely opposite opinion. My point in all of that is to say to all of you "newbies" to bonsai out there like me, be patient, research, research research, experiment, and sift through all of the opinions and find trusted sources you can learn from. There will be disappointments and losses but this is such a satisfying hobby. I love trees and forests. It's thrilling to me to be able to grow them in and around my home.
by veritas_ao
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dicax, Jacob Wember

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jaron
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Jaron on topic Sifting though the "noise"

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72413
I could not agree more and I have the same issue.I've had my fukien now for about a month niw and per my own new post, so much conflicting information out there. After losing some leaves I realize that waiting the week to week and a half the people had recommended was completely wrong, and I find if I were at every three days with the humidity tray full it thrives. Many more leaves and very shiny.

I hope you don't mind if I reach out now and then to ask questions since you seem to have been going through the same thing I am. My big problem right now is when to fertilize and how much. I have no idea when the last time was this was fertilized but I do see some pellets in the soil. I bought a bonsai fertilizer off of Amazon but I'm not sure if it's the best stuff. Could you tell me what your experience has been with fertilizing yours and what's been successful. I have heard once a month, once a month only doing growing season, once a year, etc etc. It would be great to know what your experience has been but I love the tree and have at least figured out how often it needs to be watered so it looks great. If you want to see the fertilizer I bought, my post is in the fertilizer index.

Thanks,

Jaron
by Jaron

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Sifting though the "noise"

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72415
I would asume that the recources saying its a good beginner trees are eighther comercial or from the tropics. Fukien trees are sold by milions in northern europe every year. We get hundreds of threads here at the empire about dieing fukiens. None of them come back with a success story. I am a beginner as well, just 6 years into the hobby. I would not get myself a fukien with the knowledge I have gained from this forum.
by Tropfrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: veritas_ao, Jaron

• veritas_ao
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by veritas_ao on topic Sifting though the "noise"

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72416
Hello Jaron. I'm still very new at this and don't feel comfortable giving specifics. I'm using an 18-6-8 bonsai fertilizer. That's pretty high but I use it sparingly. My ponytail palm and money tree are doing great but my Fukien is struggling.
A good and trusted resource is Herons Bonsai on YouTube. Watch a few his videos for newbies. I think you'll agree he's trustworthy.
by veritas_ao
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaron

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Sifting though the "noise"

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72417
Good advice there! Specificly look at herons bonsai vid about indoor bonsai. The only species he grow in living room conditions is ficus and it is obvious it is not doing good in winter.

Another good recource is the bonsai zone. He grow ficus outdoors in summer and at very low temperature under artificial light in winter. To my beginner eye, quite successful.

None of them is growing carmona as far as I know.
Last Edit:2 years 7 months ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Tropfrog.

• veritas_ao
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by veritas_ao on topic Sifting though the "noise"

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72418
Yes Tropfrog. Exactly! Bonsai Zone is also a good resource. I like Nigel and he's trustworthy as well. The Fukien Tea tree was gifted to me and I would never buy one after what I know now. I know the odds are against me but if I can keep alive until spring it should be ok.
by veritas_ao

• Jaron
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Jaron on topic Sifting though the "noise"

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72420
Thanks so much everyone for input on resources and your experiences. Sounds like I have a bumpy road ahead with this thing. But I have to say it looks very healthy thus far after a month of pruning and watering effectively. Many new leaves and a shine to them.

I will check out the videos and hold off on fertilization as it sounds like that’s an area where Fukien trees struggle if it isn’t just right. Thanks so much. -Jaron
by Jaron