TOPIC:

Setting a ground training spot 2 years 6 months ago #72596

• Albas
  • Albas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Hey!
Just wanted to share the tree training bed I just started.

I still have to fill it with a slightly better soil, so in my understanding It will help the tree to start.

Also, make easier to remove or doing rootwork by just moving the blocks.

The soil is not bad, we plant "Mandioca" and Corn at seasons by there, it has a lot of worms, which ia a good sign, and it's not hard (However in summer It might be dryer).

For those who are into ground training, is there something I should consider?
Like, I still in doubt if I use something like bricks on the bottom to avoid straight down roots, or just use slabs under each tree when transplanting...

Let me know what you think, any advice will be aprecciated.
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: It's 4,00m x 0,40m... blocks are 0,20m high, and it's in full sun, or almost.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Albas.

Setting a ground training spot 2 years 6 months ago #72602

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
It looks awfully narrow.

I just plant with roots in a plane. THen every fer years, I dig. A few trees I do grow over a tile. The main challenge it to still get a feel of natural roots. Key is in the digging and pruing of roots every few years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

Setting a ground training spot 2 years 6 months ago #72606

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for replying LB!

It is 40cm side to side (inside). I'll attach some pics with better scale capture.
But it wouldn't be hard to expand to a side, this is Mark 1... xD

I've seen some large scale producers growing directly on ground level, but I made the rised borders with a few intentions, like, as you can see weeds grow very hard here, and it would make a mess around the trees really fast, so being a little bit higher might be easier to clean the weeds into it, and keep the surroundings clean.
But you gave me an nice idea, I'm gonna do some tests on ground level too.

Other pro about the borders, is not having to dig (at least not much) when doing some root work that is required so it won't go too wild.

Thanks for the tile tip, I'll do that approach on some trees.

Here are some pics, that mix is soil, decomposing jabuticaba leaves, and rough sand, but it's not ready, gonna add some more soil, as it seems way too fluffy...

Setting a ground training spot 2 years 6 months ago #72671

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just a little update;
Turns out that I'm liking the idea of training trees on the ground, once you put one tree, you start to wish put all of them, hahahah.

So I'm thinking about doubling the size, you can see I cleaned a bit more around to plant on ground level as well as recommended, will only do a small barrier to avoid weeds....

First inhabitants are a few Pink Calliandras, one will be a single tree, others will be a Yose-Ue, since I didn't make any rootwork, they didn't felt the transfer, and seems very happy...

However it's a full sun spot, and Caliandras (and a few other trees I have) don't like much direct (peak) hot sunlight, when it's too much, they'll close their leafs, so I installed a shade net/shade cloth yesterday.

• Page: