Bonsai forum

Pet Safe trees?

• brianmreed1
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pet Safe trees? was created by brianmreed1

Posted 2 years 4 months ago #73912
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to start my first bonsai tree- I'm pretty excited about it!

With a house of four cats and two dogs, we're always very cautious about which plants we bring into the house. I would like my first tree to be an indoor tree, and I'm hoping you all can direct me to some of your favorite pet safe (Non-toxic) bonsai plants.

Thanks!
by brianmreed1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132

Replied by Rorror on topic Pet Safe trees?

Posted 2 years 4 months ago #73921
Not an anwser on your question

Pets will learn for bad experiance from eating a toix plant the first time.
Just make sure you don't bring instant dead plants inhouse, instead of trying to keep out toxic plants. Toxic does not mean that you die immediately, only if eating in big quantities.
What about cat's that go outside? Does every cat owner spy's on there cat all day, to keep it from eating toix plants outdoor?

I would go for some of the easer to care houseplants, for exampele a ficus. Also toxic, but my cat's never died by trying a leaf or a few. And after that first time, the cat puked on the floor. It never tried to eat it again.
One example more, i think i have 2 or 3 non-toxic plants indoor. The rest 30+ all toxic, but not instent deadly. They usually leave all of them alone. Exept maybe when they have a furball. then they eat something toxic to puke the furball out.
by Rorror

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pet Safe trees?

Posted 2 years 4 months ago #73923
Most common beginner misstake is to bellieve that indoor = living room conditions. Trees sold as indoor trees is trees that needs some protection in winter. That is often protection from frost but rarelly ever 20c or above like we have in our living rooms.

Most trees suffers in living room conditions, some survive but most slowly deteriorates slowly until death.

If you really want to start in bonsai, get yourself trees hardy to your area and grow outdoors. Your pets would allready have a fair idea what not to eat then.
by Tropfrog