Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Tree qestion 2 years 2 months ago #74830

• jmacri1980@gmail.com
  • jmacri1980@gmail.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
what is the Bonsai tree from the Karate Kid films and how much are they if I want to turn it in to a Hobbie of planting or growing or buying and selling if I wanted to sell them how much would the price be if I wanted to earn money?

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tree qestion 2 years 2 months ago #74832

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
If you want to make good business look into something else than Bonsai. Every year we spend 5-10 hours on every tree and it adds only approx 10-20 euro to the value of the tree.

Bonsai is a hobby and passion, not a business.

Tree qestion 2 years 2 months ago #74838

• jojo22
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 47
you must first start by learning how to grow a tree before starting to sell, make seedlings, cuttings that will give birth to future bonsai in 5 or even 10 years

Tree qestion 2 years 2 months ago #74839

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I do not know the karata kids movies. But I will go out on a limb and say, 30 euro juniper bonsai probably. Cannot imagine that on a filmset they would use actual good bonsai.

To make money? You need to improve them. Why would any person sell you the trees at a lower value than what you could sell them for?
Unless you are well-known, there is not a lot of money in bonsai.

Tree qestion 2 years 2 months ago #74840

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Tree qestion 2 years 2 months ago #74841

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
Selling things cheaper than it could be sold for to private persons is called wholesale. Selling things more expensive than private persons can sell is called retail. That is basically how all goods businesses is built up and very much possible.

In bonsai it is done as well. However theese trees ment for business never satisfy a real bonsai artist and needs to be refined to make a good tree. They are called mallsai or prebonsai depending on the quality. In any case it is possible to call them bonsai and make a business. In refining trees to become real bonsai there are no business. Too Labour, time, skill intensive.

Tree qestion 2 years 2 months ago #74842

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Bonsai on the movies are Junipers, and some are really good ones, at least real ones... And well, on 1984 Bonsai art was getting refined, and popular on the other hand.

About the business, very few artists sells good "finished" trees ot there, and well, they are recognized on the art.
Bonsai are not much different than paintings on that, very good artists make high grade trees, that worth a good amount of money. However it takes them many years to master their abilities and techniques, and being able to show those results.

And of course there is a market for pre-bonsai material, that are trees that were given some potential, aiming to become some day an Bonsai, like a trunk thick, with already some movement on it maybe, some positioned branches for you to choose, etc...

However people who buys it MUST KNOW that it's up to you to turn it into Bonsai, and that's the point right?
I like the process as much as the result...

Honestely, to start a Bonsai business, you must know Bonsai, and that's a long walk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jojo22

• Page: