Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Saving an old Ficus bonsai tree 1 year 9 months ago #77030

• Blues_age
  • Blues_age's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
I need some advice on a Ficus Bonsai tree, what it looks like it might need, as I am a novice at this art form. I'm in Hawaii. I keep it in a south facing window and use a grow light too, since it doesn't get much direct sunlight. It has taken all this time and regular feeding with little new leaf growth. I have not trimmed the branches, because it had been so stressed for so long. Over the past year I have been trying to bring it back to health with some success. Recently started to put out lots of new leaves, but they are much lighter green, so it may need nutrients. but I'm encouraged. I think it might need to have a 3rd branch, but someone had cut off that and left just a stub long ago. I don't know it it's possible to get a 3rd large branch started or if it will work out aesthetically without one. I will welcome any and all advice here.
Thanks,
History: About a year ago I was given an old Bonsai tree., I'm told it is more than 65 years old. It had been kept in a room that had little light and no sun. and it was almost dead with few leaves and only 2 branches. The pot that it was in was crumbling, so bought a new one and repotted the tree after 5 months into a pot that was a little bigger, so I could give it more opportunity to heal( I thought).

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Saving an old Ficus bonsai tree 1 year 9 months ago #77031

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
I don't think that ficus ginseng has been produced for 65 years. Here they first showed up in stores less than 10 years ago.

Since you are in Hawai, I would suggest to move it outdoors. First in shade and then gradually into full sun over a 4-6 weeks period. Your climate is excellent for ficus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Saving an old Ficus bonsai tree 1 year 9 months ago #77034

• Blues_age
  • Blues_age's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Thanks for the quick reply, My son, who has an older Japanese friend gave the tree to him and told him the age of the tree. Perhaps he had it sent from Japan long ago?
I have been afraid to move it outdoors, because I live in an apartment building and do not trust that it will not be either stolen or harmed. I also have no East facing windows. We had a larger Ficus tree outdoors, but had to bring it in because someone put fecal matter in the pot.
I also wanted to note that I'm thinking that those exposed roots could be further exposed at some point?

Saving an old Ficus bonsai tree 1 year 9 months ago #77042

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Somewhere in the mouth to moth storytelling things got wrong. Nobody grows ficus ginseng as bonsai in Japan. That is a typical Western world phenomena.

Exposed roots sounds nice, but it really needs to get back to health first. It is hard but not impossible to do indoors. What a shame people destroy ones plants around you. It would really love to come outdoors.

Nigel Saunders on the Youtube the bonsai zone has done really good on turning a ginseng ficus into a bonsai. Not exposing more roots, rather carve the bulb so it looks like exposed roots. Check that out, very clever. But as said, back to health first.

Saving an old Ficus bonsai tree 1 year 9 months ago #77044

• Albas
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Wow, thanks Tropfrog for mentioning Nigel Saunders carved one...

I mean, I've seen some good aproaches on turning Ginseng Ficus on actual Bonsai trees, mostly by fusion, grafting and sphagnum moss to get some new roots covering the bulb, but carving it's bulb was actually really clever.

Saving an old Ficus bonsai tree 1 year 9 months ago #77207

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Sorry, but your Japanese friend was misinformed and/or making things up. This plant was about 6 years old when the roots were grafted. I suspect it has been in the USA 5-10 years, which would make this plant 10-15 years old.

It needs sunlight.
Most people serious about bonsai would endeavour to get the thick bulbous roots hidden, rather than more exposed, but that is your choice to decide what you like.

• Page: