• Page:

TOPIC:

Plant toxicity / Bonsai with pets 1 year 7 months ago #77787

• Oscar
  • Oscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
Does any of you know about plant toxicity, specifically bonsai? Im getting some questions about this with regards to keeping bonsai with cats or dogs around (or other pets?) and would like to write something about this.

As a source of information, I found these:
www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/cats-plant-list
www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/dogs-plant-list

So looking at popular bonsai tree species on the list, not recommended for pets:
Ficus
Jade (crassula) - Portulacaria is not on the list
Azalea
Cherry
Wisteria

And not on the list, so low risk or considered safe options:
Juniper
Fukien tea (Carmona)
Chinese elm
Japanese elm
Japanese maple
Pines (Pinus)
Serissa
Spruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plant toxicity / Bonsai with pets 1 year 7 months ago #77790

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
I have most of the trees you list as not recommended for pests and I have two dogs.

Obviously it makes sence to encourage pet owners to the hobby by providing a list of safe trees. But I have never seen a cat or dog eating plants. They are strict carnivours.

Plant toxicity / Bonsai with pets 1 year 7 months ago #77793

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
I would think a plant toxic for dogs and cats would be toxic for just about any animal. I have most of the trees on the list and so far they don't seem to be killing the squirrels and chipmunks in the yard, unfortunately. And then there are ants and aphids.......

Animals by and large will chew something once and realize what they have. I would expect a cat might sharpen claws on a trunk, and that might be a problem, but for the tree, not the cat. Maybe ficus would get sap all over the claws and paws? Then the cat might track the sap around the house?

Plant toxicity / Bonsai with pets 1 year 7 months ago #77797

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
To help with your question. I think I have read somewhere that schefflera is toxic to pets.

Plant toxicity / Bonsai with pets 1 year 7 months ago #77804

• Oscar
  • Oscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
Thanks all, any other experience with you all keeping pets around bonsai?

Last edit: Post by Oscar.

Plant toxicity / Bonsai with pets 1 year 7 months ago #77808

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Puppys with itching teeth loves to chew on plastic pots. :)

Plant toxicity / Bonsai with pets 1 year 1 month ago #79465

• Stedy
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, all.

I am new to this forum and browsing around. I see how old this thread is but will reply for whatever it is worth.

I am a 20 year newbie w/r bonsai, a 60 year veteran dog owner. I gotta say this: Pets, like little kids, are stupid. They can and will eat bees, spiders, grass, dirt, stones. bottle caps, buttons, coins, dryer lint... and houseplants among other things. Don't trust 'em.

My present dog came to me after eating a bag of pot. She has a particular favorite weed to eat when we go for walks and has, indeed, sampled a dracena in the living room. She has not - so far - shown interest in my bonsai. As she can get up *onto* the kitchen counter to eat chocolate cookies (toxic to dogs) I suspect she can reach the trees if she wants.

Me, I love my dog and trees equally. Well, maybe the dog more, but draw your own conclusion and take whatever you wish from this post. And I will post about the trees next time.

Let me see if I can add a photo or two...

Plant toxicity / Bonsai with pets 1 year 1 month ago #79468

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Welcome to the forum!

I hear you don’t have Pumis :).

My dogs has never taken anything from tables, kitchen counters nor bonsai benches. That is for humans and they know that.

However, I had to stop fertilize the garden with chicken manure. They just love it and that is discusting. The garden is pretty much the dogs territory, if I put something they like there, they will enjoy it including plastic pots. The greenhouse however is human territory, I can safelly use chicken manure and plastic pots there. They simply don’t go there.

Yes, dogs are stupid to start with but can be trained to behave the way one wants. Obviously they cannot be as smart as humans. I feel comfortable they cannot. Then it is for sure they will not start wars, destroy nature or cause climate change. :) .

Looking forward to see some of your trees.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.
  • Page: