My 2 new Bonsai

• CarolF4
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2

My 2 new Bonsai was created by CarolF4

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78551
My 2 new ones came in today and that will be it for a while. I got a Ficus Retusa-8 years old and a Mistletoe Fig (Ficus Diversolia) 8 years old.
In good condition. They are my largest ones that I have right now and I will concentrate in taking care of the ones I have now.
No more room.

Carol
by CarolF4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic My 2 new Bonsai

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78552
Congrats. There are many of us that have claimed several times that we got our last tree due to space limitations. But when one see that tree with really good potential space is no longer an issue. We just expand the space used for trees or just get rid of less potential trees to make space. I have never seen an active bonsai artist that have gotten hes/hers last tree yet.

In your case, I do think that you will loose the two trees that are not suitable for living room cultivation. There are just two ways forward then. You eigther replace them or quit the hobby. :)
by Tropfrog

• CarolF4
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by CarolF4 on topic My 2 new Bonsai

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78553
They were in good shape, except the Mistletoe Fig (Ficus deltoid has some yellow leaves-about 5 of them. I am thinking that it was being in that box for travel.
When I unwrapped the plants-they were dry, so I watered them good. Will see what happened Sith the yellow leaves. Do we leave them or take them off?

Carol
by CarolF4

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78555
If they are allready totally yellow you can cut off or leave until they fall naturally. If they are not yet totally yellow, just leave them until they are.
by Tropfrog

• CarolF4
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78697
Update-you were right I got a few more and a bigger indoor table. Also have a table for outdoors on the patio when it gets warmer-too cold. Have more snow coming.
by CarolF4

This message has attachments images.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78699
Congrats on your new trees, i did not expect it to happen that fast.

I would suggest you take it easy for a while. Now you have 15 trees, all in different species. And if I understand it right no previous experience with bonsai or any of the species. That is quite an undertaking. Now focus on taking care of them, to learn how to make them grow healthy.

I am happy you got yourself an outdoor table and hope it is the same size as the indoor one. All your trees will thank you if they can come outdoors in summer.

I cannot see the plant lights in the photos and the area looks very dark. The awailable light to the plant decrease with the square of the distance between the light and the plant. If you have an Android devise, you can download a ppfd meter for free and check if they get enough light. I have a hunch they don't.
by Tropfrog

• CarolF4
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78700
So, I have a total of 13 and that includes the Money Tree. I have enough light for them and I use the window sill when the sun is out and they get extra.

No problem with any of them they are all doing fine.
by CarolF4

This message has an attachment image.