Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus winter trouble 1 year 3 months ago #79137

• prezac7
  • prezac7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a ficus treet the past few years and the weather had a nasty cold snap out of no where in October. I didn't get the tree indoors to avoid the cold snap. The leaves went brown, dry and easily come off if brushed by them.. I have been watering it about once a week, UV light on it when I get home from work, the only apartment window that can get natural light is right next to it. I also have a humidifier going on in the room as well.

I know the cold snap put it towards it's dorman faze and I expect not to see real growth. I have been watering it and trying to get it any light I can now to try to survive till spring when it should wake up and can provide firtilizer to it to try to get it growing more. Feeling some branches the small tips feel brittle, but further down to the trunk there appears to be strength still in them.

Is there anything else I can try to do to make sure it is still alive and growing again in spring spring, or if no green growth by then count it as gone? This is my first tre and I am not experienced enough with how they react to a sudden and unexpectant cold snap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus winter trouble 1 year 3 months ago #79139

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
I get worried when you say you water on a scedule. Did you have the same scedule in summer?

The best way to keep ficus in winter here is cold (above frost) and with natural light. The less light and heat, the less watering. A tree can go for a month without watering.

Other than that....You need to be patient. If the tree still shows signes of life, it can bounce back quite heavy in spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: