Bonsai forum

Home Depot Bonsai

• jesse254
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Home Depot Bonsai was created by jesse254

Posted 7 months 4 days ago #81529
I was wandering around Home Depot this morning and was looking at their bonsai for sale. I picked this one up but cannot seem to identify it. The tag says grown by Costa Farms so I went to their website. I only has two listed(Ligustrum Privet and Fukien Tea). I am thinking Ligustrum but would like a second opinion.
by jesse254

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Oscar on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 7 months 4 days ago #81532
Please share some photos here!
by Oscar

• jesse254
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by jesse254 on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 7 months 3 days ago #81538
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This image is hidden for guests.
by jesse254

This message has attachments images.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1363

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 7 months 3 days ago #81541
This is a fukien tea tree or carmona. It will most likelly be dead within 6 months. If you make it longer, please come back and tell us the secret.
by Tropfrog

• jesse254
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by jesse254 on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 7 months 2 days ago #81551
It's people like YOU who make new members not want to participtate. I have been doing bonsai for over 20 years and am easily more capable than you of keeping this tree alive for many years. I have never purchased a tree from a big box store and was not familiar with this species. [edited by moderator].
Last Edit:7 months 1 day ago by jesse254
Last edit: 7 months 1 day ago by Oscar.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 months 2 days ago #81552
That is obviously not an accepted behaiviour in a discussion forum. We talk trees, not people here. Your post will be reviewed by moderator.

Wow, 20 years! I only have 7 years of experience. Got my first carmona last summer and it is still allive. It is suffering, but still alive. Growing bonsai for me is about development, not struggling to keep things alive. We see 100s of dieing carmonas every year in this forum and so far no well developed tree.

I am looking forward for following your endaveours with this species.
by Tropfrog

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Oscar on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 7 months 2 days ago #81553

This is a fukien tea tree or carmona. It will most likelly be dead within 6 months. If you make it longer, please come back and tell us the secret.

Wow, did I miss something? I was seeing this photo and thought, wow this tree's got some potential. Why would it die within 6 months?

@Jesse - it is probably planted in horrible soil. So what I would do is repot it in proper bonsai soil (or anything that drains well) and make sure to use a pot with drainage holes in it. Don't prune/wire. Just keep it healthy for the next year or so and take it from there.
As for species, I think Tropfrog might be right but Im not 100% sure - perhaps google for leaves of carmona and compare to your tree.
by Oscar

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 months 2 days ago #81554

Wow, did I miss something? I was seeing this photo and thought, wow this tree's got some potential. Why would it die within 6 months?

I did not say it will die in 6 months. I said that it will MOST LIKELLY die in 6 months. The reason for me saying this is the 100s of threads about fukien dieing in this forum and no success story revealed.

I do hope that someone can solve the mystery and share the solution. I do what I can to to be that one.
by Tropfrog

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 months 1 day ago #81559

It's people like YOU who make new members not want to participtate. [edited by moderator].

Thanks for letting me know that.

It is YOU that despite 20 year in the hobby still buying trees without knowing what species they are. :)
by Tropfrog

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 605

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 7 months 1 day ago #81560
I think that some species have a high survival rate and some have low. If 1 out of 100 fukien teas survives, then eventually one will. The one I inherited from my sister in law is alive, looks scraggly, and I have had it for two years now, so maybe this is the 1 out of 100. Maybe I get no credit if this is the one.

BTW, in the modern world there is encouragement made to be positive about comments, which is good. However, this has been taken to an extreme so that it is very easy to interpret anything negative as a massive personal attack. Combine this with the idea from the 70s that my opinion is just as good as your opinion, no matter what facts may say, and the result is retaliatory personal attacks against perceived personal attacks.

In the 21st century the best we can do when we encounter someone who reacts this way is just ignore him/her. Once the personal attack mode is on, everything will be perceived as a personal attack and the reaction will heterodyne.

This is a shame.
by Ivan Mann
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog