Home Depot Bonsai

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1363

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 7 months 1 day ago #81561
Ivan: So true.

We should start a thread about fukien survivors. Just as a counterweight to all dead ones. Just to be positive :)

Unfortunattely, showing my specimen may be interpretated as negative as for now. But despite looking very weak it is actually flowering right now, quite flabbergasting.

How long did your sister have this tree? I think that time should count as well.
by Tropfrog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 605

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 7 months 18 hours ago #81565
She was working with a guy who had a side business of a bonsai greenhouse. He has become the local source for pots, soil ingredients, etc.

She got the tree from him, and it is pretty much like every picture we see here. She probably had it a year or so when she asked me to take care of it while she moved, about a year and a half ago. I asked three times if she wanted it back, then stopped asking.

I move it inside when frost is liable and outside it gets too much sun, I think. I miss watering it every now and then, like most of the trees, and it comes back every time (so far). It has been around then as you note two and a half years. It flowers and looks pretty nice most of the year. I guess it is a success story, but I don't know if I should take credit or if it is the one out of a hundred tough survivor.
by Ivan Mann

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 months 17 hours ago #81566
Still impressive. So far the longest living mallsai fukien I have ever heard about. Outdoors in summer is obviously a good start. I guess you have an advantage over me with the hot summers.

I kept mine in a frost free overwintering room. It did great until a period of deep frost when the door was solid frozen and not possible to open. When it thawed and I could get access it was totall dry. It was almost bare until mid june when it supricingly came back. Actually, the first time I noticed the buds was when I had given up and was taking it to the compost bin :)

Anyway, I think I am one step closer to understand this species in my climate.

Taking it into livingroom conditions in winter is a sure killer here. November to February we get less than 5 hours of sunshine and we are heating the houses which makes the air very dry.
by Tropfrog

• CarolF4
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by CarolF4 on topic Home Depot Bonsai

Posted 5 months 3 weeks ago #81820
I have Fukiens and have no problem with them.
by CarolF4

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 months 3 weeks ago #81821
For how long have you had it? How do you care for it?
by Tropfrog