Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 6 months ago #7177

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
The thyme in our garden is now 4 years old, and has a 2cm base, at about 50cm wide bush.

In Spain I have seen appearently very old rozemary bushes of over 1.5m tall, with branches cms thick

These herbs grow as shrubbing in hot, dry pine landscapes in the mediteranean. You should have no problem keeping them for years, when treated right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 6 months ago #7181

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Here, I will share a photo of a nice rosemarinus officinalis var. palaui. Tree comes from Spain and is owned by Gabriel Romero Aguadé (and for sale!). I reallly enjoy this tree!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 6 months ago #7182

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Nice one; Andd seriously of age, I'd say. 15+ years?

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 6 months ago #7199

• Gnarlwood
  • Gnarlwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 21
Actually it's only six years old. It was completely undisturbed for those six years though. I had it kept in a raised bed garden and every year I would keep it pruned to the height and width I wanted.

I just repotted it about two days ago and found that it has very nice thick old roots. Next year I'm gonna buy some plastic bonsai training pots and try to have my thyme grow over a rock.

Here's a link to my possible pot options:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/178-5028820-9910326?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=plastic+bonsai+pot

Let me know which pots you think would be best.

Last edit: Post by Gnarlwood.

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 6 months ago #7248

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
After examining my Thyme recently and comparing it with photographs taken at the begining of the year I'm amazed at the change! It's filled in nicely. I simply cant imagine what it will look like after years of training.

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 6 months ago #7272

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hmmm....pruned my Thyme and noticed severe congestion at the tips of the plant growth.

With Thyme the outer tip of the plants growth tends to cluster as multiple shoots extend from a small area. This creates a nice even growth, but it makes an excellent area for a mite infestation. The best way to correct this problem is to thin the tips of the thyme plant to allow air circulation.

Once completed, the thyme will appear pretty barren. However, it will fill in nicely within 4-6weeks.

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 6 months ago #7275

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Have you tried spraying with water daily? that way the growth might not be set back.

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 6 months ago #7295

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Too much water promotes fungus in thyme. It enjoys being mistreated. It will fill in but on its own "thyme"

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 5 months ago #7465

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I planted corsican mint with my thyme early this year. Around summer I harvested some moss growing in a nearby park. Now that the weather has become more hospitable I've noticed the corsican mint is growing up through the moss.

My theory is that the moss acts like a sponge and allows the moisture loving mint to be nurtured beneath it. Then it crawls up through the moss and crawls on top of it.

I would suggest companion planting corsican mint with moss and seeing if it adds to your mint's health.

Very interesting...........

Herbal Bonsai 11 years 5 months ago #7468

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
mint :evil: i will never ever ever try to grow that stuff again. i have been pulling it out of my garden for years now and it keeps comeing back choking off whatever is in its way... anyways be sure to control how much is growing. the roots can end up crowding out the trees and be detrimental to its health if kept unchecked ;)