• manofthetrees
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

my trees was created by manofthetrees

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #593
howdy y'all,

well i finally uploaded my camera and was updateing my progression so i figured hey! ill post my other trees :P

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

shohin sejiu elm (6 inch tall 3"x5" pot)

shohin shimpaku juniper (8 inch tall 4" round pot)

shohin mugo pine (5 inch tall 3" square pot)

red flowering quince,2 korean viburnum and my daughters black pine

sugar maple that i found under my hedges 1-1/2 inch trunck

sugar maple root over rock..found this one too w/ root already exposed

4 yr old silver maple growing on a rock with a natural dish formed into it

a srub??? that was unwanted...why kill it when i can bonsai :P
i have more but for some reason i didn't take pics :S maybe next time ;) hope ypu enjoy
by manofthetrees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: my trees

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #595
Awesome, Keith!

You're a Bonsai machine! :cheer: These are wonderful...what a variety. It's so great that you have your daughter involved too. Your work is both inspiring and reassuring...it actually can be done!

I'm not sure I'm supposed to do this (after reading the forum rules today~yikes!) however, I could really use some advice on my plants and how to get started which I have posted in the "Beginner: Help Me!" section Topic: "Starting Over...Need Advice Please?" I haven't got any responses and I could really use some help. Would you mind checking it out? I have been studying and researching steady for a week and a half now yet, I'm so afraid to do the wrong thing. I'd really appreciate some guidance if you have a little time to spare. Thanks

Leslie
by Leslie

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: my trees

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #601
Hi Leslie,

All in all.. Don't worry too much about doing things wrong. Worst case scenario is that your tree dies. Which is sad. More likely, and also seemingly sad: You loose a branch, get no growth for a year or your tree is sitting sadly under a tree for a while. Random mortality in your tree might help built character in the tree, which you would not have gotten yourself. Nature and life are strong, and unless you really mal-handle the plant, it will resprout.
by leatherback

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #602
Very nice collection. Well under way to get some nice specimens there. I like the lonely tall pine most I think. But the elm is very impressive too.
by leatherback

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: my trees

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #616

a srub??? that was unwanted...why kill it when i can bonsai :P

I totally agree... I pulled one from my aunt Lucy's backyard and I still don't know what it is! Really nice collection. I wish my dad were into this... we joked around after our first bonsai meeting (he had to go with me; I only have a learner's permit) and he said, "You were one of the youngest people in the room, but then, so was I!" Especially since I could probably borrow his tools! I still haven't found a set ... but I know I'll find one eventually.
Anyway, your silver maple is really neat! I like how you have it in a natural rock hollow instead of a pot.
Also, what makes a shohin? I know it has to be a certain size, but what is the criteria, and how do you meet it?
by BassandBonsai

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #626

BassandBonsai wrote:

we joked around after our first bonsai meeting (he had to go with me; I only have a learner's permit) and he said, "You were one of the youngest people in the room, but then, so was I!"

Hahaha,
I know that when I was still living at home I used to be a serious succulent collector: Over 200 species in front of windowpanes, stockes 4 stories high on shelves in my bedroom. Naturally, I was a memer there too. And after the 15 year old me, the next youngest was in his 50-ies. You really wonder at times like that: "What am I doing here!?". And also, I often wondered: "What would my friends think" ( Thay naturally had already decided I was the odd one out, with actual living plants, and then so many of them).

At the end of the day you decide what you find interesting and like to do. So: Stick with it. Do not worry too much about it only being older people doing this (Although.. I am now only 35; Maybe old for you, but not old old yet ;) ). Just consider: These older people have had soo much time to choose a hobbie. Yet all of these ended up deciding they like to grow miniature trees. So if it is good for them, after seeing all the other things, it cannot be bad as a hobby for you!

by leatherback

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #635
Hi J & Hannah,

I totally agree with you J. Working with the bounties of our Earth is incredibly healthy and therapeudic and I think it's wonderful, Hannah that you are involved in such a great and ancient art. Studies have proven that participating in any form of art improves the quality of every aspect of one's life including studies in school. I admire you for having the courage to go outside the box. You are so very fortunate to have parents who are willing to support and even help you in your interests and hobbies. ;)

Jelle...I luv your ferns and hostas! I have the same in my little shade bed. :)

Leslie
by Leslie

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: my trees

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #643
Thanks you guys! Yeah, it is kind of weird being the youngest member, :S but that just means that I have a multitude of mentors to choose from! I participated in a workshop, where you paid the money, and you got to pick out a tree and an advanced bonsai master helped you repot it from a flower pot to a true bonsai pot. I had no less than three guys helping me! :lol:
But even though I'm really the only person in my school I know of who's into this, my friends are "odd ones out" too. We spend our lunches in the library, and we actually prefer reading to watching tv! :ohmy: I support their quirky hobbies, (one friend's Sailor Moon obsession, another one's knitting) and they support mine. It works.
But back to manofthetrees, your collection is awesome! I like how healthy and alive all of your trees look, especially your maples!
by BassandBonsai

• manofthetrees
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: my trees

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #648
ha ha they'er not all doing so well i just didn't take pics of the bad ones :P.
i especially have a larger mugo pine that i messed up on , 2/3s of it has died and i don't know if the rest is going to make it :( .your not the only youngin' here, yuri is only 15 if i am correct. i wish i had started this 20 years ago i can't imagine the collection i would have now
by manofthetrees

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #649
Hey, you youngin's...

Not to worry...embrace your youth. I'm beginning think I may be the "grandmother" of the group...sigh... oh well! Happy Growing! :P

Leslie
by Leslie