TOPIC:

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7526

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Dear All,

On the Dutch forum of this website (www.bonsaiempire.nl/forum/vormingen/11818-tijd-te-veel) a link has come up and brought some excitement among the participants. This is the website: www.dugzbonsai.com/tridenttrunk.htm

This technique seems like a fun alternative way to get some nice fat trunks, without having to spent 25 years getting there. In a flash of inspiration Oscar and I thought of maybe starting a little competition. It would be on using this technique to create a fat trunk. It would probably have to run quite a long time (A year or more) and require participants to prove they started work after the competition was opened. To see whether it would be worth the work, we would like to gauge interest first. So.. Who would join a competition like this one? What are your thoughts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7527

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Is the competition on the dutch website? I would be supper keen to join something like this.

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7528

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Would probably have to be a 2 year competition if its set globally, because different hemispheres starting in different seasons, and being at a disadvantage.

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7529

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So the competition would be to achieve a fat trunk in a few years? And do we have to use the same method? or can we use our own? And can we do this with mame size bonsai? As I can use cuttings or airlayers instead of spending money on nursery stock.

Last edit: Post by MWid.

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7530

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
No rules set yet. This really is feeling around to see whether there would be an interest. It would be around this technique though. The 2 year argument is one I have been thinking about too. I entered a competition which ran from june to feb, which basically causes northern hemisphere some trouble getting anything done :D

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7531

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
so we couldn't do trunk splitting to get taper dam. Im still keen then, will have to make a trip to a nursery outlet or something in the holidays. As you can see Im really interested, just have to wait for others to reply.

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7532

• snuffy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 15
After reading that site, back in march, I started a zelkova fuse but without the form. I zip-tied 16 seedlings from the yard just to see if they would fuse. To my suprise within a month there were signs of fusing. If I had the time and the money to get some good 2 year old seedlings, I'd be game.

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7537

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
this seems to be a technique that is becoming more popular recently.i noticed one of the earlier "trees of the day" was grown this way.
the master in my bonsai club has been playing around with this technique for some time now and has told me that he can make a tree with branches anywere he wishes and with great nebari in as little as 5 years

i am already planning to try this in spring (heading toward winter now) with maples definately and im going to see what kind of bare root sticks i can get from a local grower that sells them in bunches of 10 .ill find that out in december so im in :P

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7569

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 21
I'm gonna try this technique. However, I'm gonna try it with thyme. Who knows what that will look like?

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 5 months ago #7570

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
may take some...thyme ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kittyvlekkie