• Page:

TOPIC:

Finally Bonsai Season 11 years 1 month ago #8232

• James May
  • James May's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13
Hey guys. I havent posted on the forum since summer/autumn of last year. Its finally starting to feel like spring here in SoCal and my Japanese Maple decided it was time to put out some spring growth. I hope everyone and their trees are doing great and I wish you all a happy bonsai season. Here is a pic of the new red shoots on my favorite tree.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Finally Bonsai Season 11 years 1 month ago #8233

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
lucky you, im still waiting and waiting here in new york ...i usually bring in 2 of my small trees to give them a head start on spring but the pots are still frozen in the ground. all my ficus have been worked over so im getting ansy now. everything looks to be alive so the below 0 windy no snow weather didnt kill anything. just a few of my maples recieved a mid winter pruning by the neiborhood rabbit. it may have ruined one ,but nothing a couple years of growth wont replace. i have about 20 trees to root prune and repot this year so as soon as the weather breaks its going to get real busy real fast

Finally Bonsai Season 11 years 1 month ago #8235

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hey James,

I really love that maple of yours! I am in the process of getting a similarly sized monster from a back-yard this spring. I cannot wait untill our spring is where yours is now! I assume you have a few more years of refining planned for this tree? Willing to share a little about the plant, when you got it and how it has proceeded since? Maybe some old pics?

Also, as you have been off for a little while.. Have a look at our running competition on bonsai fusion. I think in your region you should be uick if you would want to join in!

Finally Bonsai Season 11 years 1 month ago #8238

• James May
  • James May's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13
I got this tree in late June of last year from The House Of Bonsai in Lakewood CA. My plan for this tree is quite simple... The trunk is fairly mature, but the branch structure is immature. I will be pruning the secondary shoots here in a few days to promote shorter inner nodes for the 2nd set of leaves. I will continue to do that until the tree has a very fine and dense branch structure. I will most likely wait a while before I apply any wire because the branches are roughly in the place I want them to be. I had a few minor issues with the tree last year. One of the problems was tar spots. I read that Japanese Maples get these from time to time and they are not that harmful to the tree. I would remove them with my fingernail when one would appear before it had a chance to harm the leaf. The main issue I had was sunburn in the late summer. We had a brutally hot summer here in Northridge (100+ for days). I will need to acquire some sort of shading for this summer. All of my other trees thrived in the hot summer months. The only tree I have that hates the heat is this maple.

Here are some pictures of it with mature foliage.

• Page: