• User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello I'm Ste

Live in the uk

Just wanted to say hello to everyone

My experience with bonsai trees is extremely limbered aka none
Although I have always loved bonsai I have only ever owned the fake trees

Well now it's time to change that I finally plan on purchasing a real bonsai
I am hoping to get a "ready" one that I can proudly display but at the same time I am thinking of getting a "ready to create" so I can learn at the same time as "growing" my own from seed as I have read its a 3-5yr process growing ready before wiring?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kittyvlekkie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from a new member 11 years 1 week ago #8425

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

Yes, it's great to have a bonsai that is 'finished' (though a bonsai is never finished, it is a living thing and there are always things to improve. You can enjoy the finished result and only take care of the basic things; watering, pruning, repotting.

Though I would advise also buying some raw material. You can collect it yourself, or buy something at a local garden centre or nursery. It doesn't have to be expensive, it is just that you can learn and experiment with the basic techniques like wiring, shaping & styling etc.

When I started, I had both and that is (in my opinion) a good way to start!

Hello from a new member 11 years 1 week ago #8431

• Jax
  • Thanks received: 0
HI there, I am also very new to the forums and to bonsai. I have always had this fascination with them since i was young and even tried to grow some junipers but they dies (was indoors)
Now with some of the things i have been learning about I am taking my first steps in growing my first one... Its a baby jade i picked up from a nursery.
look forward to seeing you around the forums and possible future projects.

Hello from a new member 11 years 1 week ago #8445

• Neli
  • Thanks received: 6
Welcome!

Hello from a new member 11 years 1 week ago #8452

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Ste,
Where are you in the UK? If you want a near finished tree it will cost you a lot of money. Don't buy unseen, go to a bonsai dealer and ask questions. Don't try to keep any hardy tree indoors you will kill it, the vast majority of species are hardy, including Chinese Elm, which some will say can be kept in. The other thing to do is get to your local garden centre and look around thier plants, you can find some good plants which you can prune and wire for little money. Growing from seed is a long process, and you need something to do while you are waiting for them to grow big enough to work on. Also, depending on where you are, get to a workshop with one of the bonsai dealers who do them, there are plenty around and will not cost a lot. Find your nearest club and go along, you may find good trees for sale ant much less than the dealers. I hope this helps
Geoff

• Page: