TOPIC:

New website 11 years 5 days ago #8462

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi All,

Over the past few weeks I have been working ona website on growing bonsai. I would like to build a site that allows even the most novice to get started. I will be adding topics as I think of them, and have researched the material. Also, in some cases I might take an answer I give on the forum and rewrite it in a website content section.

I was wondering whether you think this would be usefull, and whether you would have some input for the site as it is now.

The site is: www.growingbonsai.net/

I am planning on including some basic diagrammes (As I am very poor at computer drawings!) as at the bottom of this page: www.growingbonsai.net/grow-and-cut/ . Does that look like something that would be helpfull?

Ah well. That is all I think..
The following user(s) said Thank You: LuLu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New website 11 years 4 days ago #8463

• snuffy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 15
I added your site to my favorites. It is a good looking site, looks very professional. Basic drawings are the best for beginners in most cases. I think it would be a good idea to show actual photos as well, for people who can't quite visualize a concept from a drawing. That way you cover pretty much all aspects of the way we learn. (If that makes any sence.) A side by side of a drawing and a photo would work good. It's just my opinion though.

New website 11 years 2 days ago #8488

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
it is a good idea. it may create arguments tho. it seems everyone has their own "right way " to do things so this may become a future issue. i like the idea of species specific columns. it is so hard to find refined species specific info sometimes.

New website 10 years 11 months ago #8500

• LuLu
  • Thanks received: 1
Nice work on your website Leatherback! :) I subscribed and am reading it! very helpful articles. Your website seems to have the makings of one of the better informative Bonsai sites on the web in my experience of online readings on the matter. :)

~LuLu

New website 10 years 11 months ago #8504

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi LuLu,

Thanks for that!

I would be very interested to know whether the subscription actually does anything.. The website layout uses a template I bought and modified to my likings. It came with the subscribe box, but I have never actually tested what it sends out :D

As for the site itself: Eventually all the dates will be removed, and instead of latest posts, it will have random posts in the righthand manu, as well as the frontpage. For me, it serves two purposes: I get to organize things that I need in a way which is logical to me (So advanced techniques that I come across; I am now finalizing a tool etching tutorial, which was written on another forum, and I wanted to keep: The author agreed to have it published on my site). Secondly, I noticed that many many websites assume you have basic horticultural skills and know some things about bonsai when you get there. For most people starting of this is just not the case. So I decided to make it an attractive (In my eyes) and informative 'starting with the basics' website.

It is not nearly full though. This easter weekend I expect to finalize another 4 articles, and I have many more ideas. so Watch that space ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LuLu

New website 10 years 11 months ago #8517

• LuLu
  • Thanks received: 1

I would be very interested to know whether the subscription actually does anything.. The website layout uses a template I bought and modified to my likings. It came with the subscribe box, but I have never actually tested what it sends out :D

The subscription allows me to comment on your articles, and also,
it sends sends out the whole article you just posted as an email lol :) and if I click the title it sends me to your website, but I can just read the entire article in my inbox if I wish. And then it also gives me an update every time someone else comments on your articles.

I hope I have been of some slight service to you. Im glad you are making a site for the absolute beginner because like you said it is VERY hard to find website/articles that explain basic bonsai concepts for someone who knows nothing (like me!) about the art :)

I wish you every success, and if I can be of help to you in future I will try my hardest!

~LuLu

New website 10 years 11 months ago #8553

• Cronic
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 33
loved the google adds

it said

>bonsai tree >tree plants >Kill plants >Kill tree

guess that's not the point there :p

looks nice though.. will look great when more info is put in..
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

New website 10 years 11 months ago #8558

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thx.

Hm.. Killing trees, that is what you got= hahaha. Hate the adds myself, but I´d prefer it if the site pays for its own hosting . Working hard on the content. Trying to get 3 posts per week on. But it is sometimes hard to write it in a way that makes sense to more people than me :D

New website 10 years 11 months ago #8560

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 289
Great website, I like the topics and very well explained!

• Page: