Bonsai forum

Identification rare old tree

• imhiznow
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Identification rare old tree was created by imhiznow

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #9225
Hoping someone could help me identify this bonsai my mother in law owns. I'll start with history: She received this tree from her grandmother when she was in her early 20's...the tree at that time was said to be 75yrs. old...so that being, it would put the tree to date at 120yrs old. But the tree was given to her grandmother by her grandmother...that time is unsure, so this could be older yet. It needs watering...i know, WHOA twice a year. It is in an old oval pot with a 8/9 inch chinese woman figurine. The tree itself is about 16-18 inches tall...the spread if its four branches is about the same. OK...now it gets really puzzling...If i hadn't seen a change in this beauty myself I would say its fake...but in the 12yrs I've know this little tree it has changed/grown slightly. The foilage on this tree is something I've never seen it is deep red to bright orange and i kid you not is looks like molded clay or thick paint...looks fake...the newest growth is the brighter orange...i wish I had pics, I'll try to get some. The trunk is smooth and slightly twisted. The tree has lived those 120yrs in North Carolina...eastern. Indoors only...the only sun she was told it needs is 2-3 weeks in the early spring, Along with 1st water...2nd water in the fall. Please any clues to help us figure out what this tree could possibly be would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to get her to send me some pics.
by imhiznow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Oscar on topic Identification rare old tree

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #9228
Please try: www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/bonsai-identification

If that doesnt work, we will need a photo!
by Oscar

• Mr. Naka J.
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Mr. Naka J. on topic Identification rare old tree

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #9230
Now I read the story, I'm very curious. Pls put some pics online
by Mr. Naka J.

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Identification rare old tree

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #9233
very very curios indeed.it may not be a tree at all it may be some sort of succulent plant from a desert region. i say this because of the twice a year watering.if it is as old as you say you may have a one of a kind specimen
by manofthetrees